• Replies Replies 68
  • Views Views 38,898

netant

۩ ŚŧäГЏЅ ΞПЖ
ISP
Asus RT-N13U Rev. B1

Features

[*]Wireless B/G/N 300Mbps
[*]Automatic detect internet connection type and Automatic setup Wizard, It doesn’t have any kind of built in ADSL modem.
[*]Download Master: Can download torrents even the PC is shutdown.
[*]USB port for Storage/ Printer/scanner sharing
[*]External switch for 3 functional modes Router, Repeater and Access-point.
[*]RJ45 for 10/100 LAN
[/list] Harware:-

[*]RAM:- 64MB
[*]ROM:- 8MB
[/list]

The Look:-
for hi-rez photos please visit my flicker page, link in my siggi 🙂

Firmware
The router was shipped with firmware version 2.0.1.1 which as a super-flop in controlling the hardware.
I recommend updating to latest firmware available by ASUS. DD-WRT is not yet available for Rev.B1 models.
Asus RT-N13U rev.B1 supports custom firmware. Support of dd-wrt has been added with new version of dd-wrt [v24 SP1 (Build10020)]
I like the way ASUS provided the login credential, written in the bottom of router.
The web interface for the RT-N13U is accessed by typing 192.168.1.1 , with username = admin , password = admin , as default. But there is no way to change the username which I thing is pretty restrictive.

Connection setup and Network Management
Once the web interface is accessed, it’s as easy as a-b-c to get it configured and go online.
I like the new Innovative UI design by ASUS, all general information and router status is available in the router homepage with visual button to get detailed status of the router. Pretty good for non-power user. Built in real-time interactive guide, Dr. Surf is also very informative and will make sure you don’t do anything wrong.

Operational modes
The RT-N13U has 3 operational modes that are selected via a switch at the bottom of the router as described by the image

Once selected the router is ready to function in desired mode
The 3 modes are

[*]Router : In the Router mode the RT-N13U Rev.B1 connects to the internet via WAN in PPPoE, Automatic IP or Static IP. In this mode, RT-N13U Rev.B1 provides firewall protection.
[*]Repeater: In the Repeater mode, RT-N13U Rev.B1 extends wireless area but automatically disables the firewall.
[*]Access-Point: In this mode, the wireless router allows to connect to router using CAT5 cable and establish a wireless network. Like the repeater mode this also disabled the firewall.
[/list]

Wireless connectivity
Wireless N on the RT-N13U Rev.B1 was very good with -60 dBm signal strength at 40ft , throughput of 4-5 MB/s was also achieved at 40ft (crossing 2 walls with heavy woodwork) Wireless testing was done with default wireless adapters on Dell XPS Mobile workstation.
here are some signal test

Case -i [(typo error in attached image, the tests were conducted using FW version is v2.0.2.0)]

Case-ii [(typo error in attached image, the tests were conducted using FW version is v2.0.2.0)]

Case -iii [(typo error in attached image, the tests were conducted using FW version is v2.0.2.0)]

Firewall
The firewall is basic with features like URL Filter, Mac filtering, LAN to WAN Filter

Conclusion
I am really impressed by the performance of ASUS RT-N13U Rev B1 after firmware updrage to v2.0.2.0.
I like the Hardware switch for operational mode change.
Wireless is very good and definitely beats his higher prices model RT-N16 (costing Rs. 6,200/- ) .
Priced at Rs.2800/- RT-N13U Rev.B1 is a very good N-300Mbps available in market.
It’s a pure Value for money product.

Old comment:-
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
finaly I got the ASUS router : ASUS RT-N13U rev.B1. (still they said N56U will take another 10 days)

First Impression: Sexy design (few people might hate the over-glowing blue colored LED, i hate those light in night)

Can't configure with my OLD Class-A IP address range, default firmware (v2.0.1.1) suks big time. had to re assign new IP range resulting in re-configuring all my LAN services/softwares.
Connecting with beam probably took less then 30 second 🙂.
Ignoring the Private IP assignment it took less then 1minute from box to online.
Decent wireless transfer speed, took less then 2 minute to transfer a 2.7GB files over the Air. with avg speed of 185Mbps , beating RT-N16... amazing !!
but it restrict my desktop LAN speed to 100Mbps mode only, 1000Mbps not showing. Wire to transfer speed capped @10mbps which is again decent & 5 time more form my old Linksys.

now come the fuss, wireless range sukx, the point of my apartment (approx 30 feet away & 2 wall behind) where i use to get 40-30% signal in Linksys WAG200g, ASUS RT-N13U rev.B1 hardly able to receive 10% signal and then signal drop 🙁
tomorrow will update firmware to latest v2.0.2.0 and test again. If that fail will try to put dd-drt & overclock the radio signal. if that fails my badluck 🙁

Final words, its a very good device in that price bracket (Rs. 2800/-)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE:- Updating firmware to v2.0.2.0 fixed the wireless range issue, it seems the factory installed firmware had serious issues with wireless 20/40Mhz bandwidth. After update im getting a minimum signal of 80%. Now getting fire transfer speed of an average 56Mbps (4-5mbps).

Congrats bro 😀 😀 pic.?

The default firmware with which I got was very unstable, btw this router is not a gigabit so lan speeds will only be 100 Mbps.... Surprisingly for me the Wifi range was very good, tried it in two apartments now my cousin is using this router in a duplex apartment around 3200 sq-feet and he is very happy......... I guess there is interference from other Wifi channels around change the channels to 1,6 or 11 and see if it improves the signal strength.

BTW ppope mode for Beam works with this router, I did setup that for my cousin as he wanted the connection like his old BSNL broadband type.... did not want the portal login stuff 🙂

BTW I did a video review for this router recently and here it is YouTube - ‪Asus RT N13U Wifi Router Review‬‏

Ranjith i am planning to buy Belkin basic wireless router (N150) Which supports Speeds up to 150mbit/s. what about the wi-fi range of this router?So whats your opinion on that? Its priced around Rs 1,325(deltapage online buy) and 1700(ebay and around the web). Any better one than this?

Sixfeetdown please do not buy that router........ its rubbish in terms of the Wifi range and the overall throughput... if you can up ur budget for Rs around 2,100 from CTC Hyd then go for Asus N12 it support Wifi speeds upto 300 Mbps and its dual antenna design so the Wifi range will be much better than the Belkin.I actually have used the Belkin N150 hence I can say do not go for that model actually the only good thing about it is the price, if you apartment is very small its just okay actually I had got it for my cousin a year ago as he wanted a cheap router now but now he repents that I got the belkin for him.

My friend uses N150 and what i observed is the signal strength its pretty much average. His wi-fi is in Ground floor and he uses internet in first floor, He suggested me for my apartment. My Requirement is i will also browse sitting in my Veranda so i think the range should be more. I knew few shops in CTC may be i'l get the same Asus N12 for less. I'l go and check out.. Belkin routers are supposed to be cheap.

Yeah Belkin router are cheap and their firmware even buggier....... crap I have a expensive Belkin N+ router which was around 5.5 K and any router around 2.5K will beat the crap out of it...... finally I made this Belkin N+ work by mod-ding it with DD-WRT firmware with the official firmware it was pathetic... after my experience with a couple of Belkin routers I say just stay away from them you have better alternatives around.

i paid around 3500 for it. the firmware is very simple. easiest one i have seen yet (i have used Linksys and buffalo). and it has a usb port too! that u can connect a printer to.hard to comment on the range as i have not tested it much but it seems to do just fine.

Yeah Belkin router are cheap and their firmware even buggier....... crap I have a expensive Belkin N+ router which was around 5.5 K and any router around 2.5K will beat the crap out of it...... finally I made this Belkin N+ work by mod-ding it with DD-WRT firmware with the official firmware it was pathetic... after my experience with a couple of Belkin routers I say just stay away from them you have better alternatives around.

Apart from Asus N12, Any other Option at 2k? My friends or relatives most of them use Belkin,Netgear (Cos they are mostly famous i guess)

The default firmware with which I got was very unstable,
True, updated & no issues now, even in terrace im getting 50% signal, will check the signal in garage tonight 🙂
I already kept my Router in isolated channel, channel 9&13 (my apartment is full of signal in chanel 1, 6 & 11, lol)
ye PPPoE mode setting less then 30 seconds, i already mentioned in my first post 🙂
Now i want to disassemble the router (i hate the over-bright lights, need to fix that ) you know any video how to open the router ?
i dont care about the warranty 😀

----------

Apart from Asus N12, Any other Option at 2k? My friends or relatives most of them use Belkin,Netgear (Cos they are mostly famous i guess)
IF you are lucky enough to procure a NetgearWNR2000 (NOT JWNR2000) will cost around 1,700/- ($25 in newegg).
It's a discontinued model in India 🙁 replaced by WNR2200 with USB costing 2900/-
I wont recommend belkin, as ranjit said & i checked with my friends (belkin N1) its just a fancy with Chinese type build quality we is very unhappy with that after investing 8K 😀

as for bright lights why not just use black tapes? it's not like you need to check for blinking lights on a daily basis?

IF you are lucky enough to procure a NetgearWNR2000 (NOT JWNR2000) will cost around 1,700/- ($25 in newegg).
It's a discontinued model in India 🙁 replaced by WNR2200 with USB costing 2900/-
I wont recommend Belkin, as ranjit said & i checked with my friends (belkin N1) its just a fancy with Chinese type build quality we is very unhappy with that after investing 8K 😀

Thanks Will check it out.

Yeah @netant just use a black tape why do you want to open it......... @sixfeetdown I do not know any good budget models of Wifi router by Netgear know one kickass model by netgear but that is around 7K.