Google Reader shutting down in July 2013

• Thread starter Thread starter moindear
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 64
  • Views Views 12,513
This is probably the best opportunity to come up with new RSS readers
[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:Verdana, arial, sans-serif;]Netvibes and NewsBlur are two other alternatives you might want to try out. [/color]
Will try it once
Newsblur is down already 🙂

ah well. things are going to be crazy for a few hours/days. would be fine after that. i am pretty sure that if freemium rss readers are going to emerge out of nowhere now.

chromaniac said:
it is not excellent news because blogs are a dying breed and the feeds we need today are the ones that are not available.
i actually use siftlinks to get a feed of my twitter stream. i love it i can go through the tweets from the time i was sleeping or offline. this is where RSS shines.
i really want something similar for google+ but too bad there are no options available out there.
the developer of siftlinks is already running the service from his own pocket. i cannot even think of requesting him to consider adding support for google+ 😀
hearing reports that flipboard is also showcasing itself as a replacement for google reader. this is hilarious. these people do not understand that most of us (some of us?) use rss feeds because we are not really interested in the latest up to date updates. we are interested in getting updates from services that updates occasionally and it is very easy to miss out on them because you cannot be online all the time.
i never really used google reader personally because i like my rss client like my gmail client. i treat rss feed updates as emails. i prefer to watch every single one of them before deleting them. google reader was not optimal for this kind of usage. opera mail works great for me.
Who knows we might see some new services like Siftlinks based on RSS Feeds? Its a matter of time before services will start thinking beyond Google Reader because its not there anymore.

Orkut would probably have more users than Reader. I am guessing of course. But Orkut would be killed eventually as well. Google+ already has most of the features of Orkut. Communities was the key thing. So, it is surprising indeed that it still is online.

yes you can. google reader earlier directly exported opml file. now google takeout is used which exports a bunch of files. just use the xml with the feed data and import it in opera.
there is one major issue with opera though. by default it checks all feeds every three hours. you cannot change it in one go. so you need to edit individual feeds which are important to you and update their update intervals manually. i have always disliked this part.

Ah just noticed the Import option. Didn't check the menu. Thanks. 😀
And yes that can be irritating. :/ Thankfully I have just 43 feeds to edit. Phew.
Opera should release a standalone version of their mail and feed apps if its looking to drop it from the Webkit version of the browser. Its light and fast something which other mail apps lack.

Opera Mail has loads of fans. It would alienate Opera even more if they decide to discard features when they move to webkit. I already hate the changes they introduced in the newer builds breaking a major functionality for me. But if they kill the RSS reader, I would certainly have no use for Opera seriously.

I didn't quite get how feedly works. I login to feedly, it asks my google details and fetches my subscriptions from Google Reader. So what purpose it will serve when Reader closes?