Google Reader shutting down in July 2013

• Thread starter Thread starter moindear
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 64
  • Views Views 12,519
Publicize is not removed : They just do not let you add new Twitter accounts.

I can turn it on right now. 🙂
well. if they do not provide a good alternative. people would stop using goo.gl link shortening service as well 😛
one reason i prefer goo.gl over bit.ly is that the latter is more likely to die eventually. 😛

Got it.

Haha, their link shortening service was best used on Feedburner only.

Also WP.com has jumped ship. They are letting you import Google Reader subscriptions. Love WP.com for this. They never let go of any opportunity to get more users. :tongue:

i posted about that earlier in this thread.
https://broadband.forum/topic/7432-google-reader-shutting-down-in-july-2013/?p=654603
I played with it earlier today before they blogged about it. Practically useless for any serious Google Reader user. It works a lot like how Tumblr and LiveJournal works.
OPML is an open format anyways. Every RSS related service should support it natively.

Mozilla Thunderbird is actually a very decent RSS reader in itself. I used to use it sometime.
Also, I really hate the comments on WordPress.com blog.

I know you did but they didn't have any import feature. This was added today only I guess. Yeah. I use it for reading posts via mail. I guess this might offer you a chance to read feeds via mail. Need to check.

ok. they definitely had the opml import feature when i posted on the forum. coz i imported my opml file (around 350 feeds :Olympic: ) and well... discovered that it was hopelessly useless for me 😀
the web is going to break the day (if) imgur.com shuts down.

Ah. 350 Feeds? 😱 Wow. Haha. Also mail feature is only for WP.com blogs only. Facepalm. They are not importing feed titles but identifying blogs via their feed links. :tongue:
chromaniac said:
the web is going to break the day (if) imgur.com shuts down.
Reddit will shut first. 😀

i am guessing around 50-60 of these feeds are dead. another 20 are of my own content. around 50 are for content i no longer care for. so actual useful feeds are lot less.
i started using feeds long time ago. the mess started when i started following support threads on forums using rss feeds (bbpress and some other platforms allow this).
as for wordpress.com... i stopped caring about them long time ago. i have no love for the wp platform anymore. it's a compulsion that i have to use them.
google does not take their blogger platform seriously. if they did, they had offer excellent import feature for competing blogging platforms. i had switch on day one when that happens.

Haha. I used to still follow all forum threads via mail. Same Mess. 😛
chromaniac said:
as for wordpress.com... i stopped caring about them long time ago. i have no love for the wp platform anymore. it's a compulsion that i have to use them.
google does not take their blogger platform seriously. if they did, they had offer excellent import feature for competing blogging platforms. i had switch on day one when that happens.
WP.com's interface is getting bloated by all those non sensical features they keep adding. They need to focus. And for blogger I have only one grudge. Their Post Editor. Man it sucks. They should ditch their own and opt for some 3rd party.

And taking advantage of the fiasco, Newsblur reduced the no of feeds available for free from 64 to 12 and doubled its price. Great. 😛irate:

Google said that it won't be available after July 1. So I guess today is its last day as opposed to 30 June. Should be taken down by tomorrow morning. (US Midnight.)

Weird. google.com/reader redirects to google.com/reader/about which has the above text but google.com/reader/view still opens the regular reader for me. Anyways you have still 15 july to export your data.