Google Reader shutting down in July 2013

• Thread starter Thread starter moindear
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 64
  • Views Views 12,516
It's a business dicision... Maybe it's a good one... As much as I loved the service , one has to remember that google is not a charitable organisation , even though many users might think it to be as they provide eve thing from search to docs to mobile OS for "free"... Anyway reader was one of those non fancy services from google that not many normal users used...

Not many normal users used? 😕 It was the defacto standard when dealing with RSS Feeds. Hundreds of Apps are based on it which caters to millions of users. They have just effectively killed one of the best services they had to offer.

lol yeah. there are enough users of google reader service. probably more than services/products that are getting updated on a regular basis. and it is a hugely popular service as well. i mean when you talk about a web based rss reader, google reader is the only thing that comes to mind.google is trying to pretend here that rss is getting redundant or not many people use it. but a lot do.i personally use opera for my rss reader so i am not personally affected. but other web based rss readers are generally horrible. feedly comes to mind. i cannot get used to it at all.and since opera is moving to webkit, i have fears that they might kill their own rss reader as well in the coming months. i have disliked a lot of discontinuation from google over the past couple of years. this one is probably the worst. feedburner would be next in line. though google might not do it because of the sheer number of blogs etc using it right now.

i spend lot of time on this .. and this is worst decision from them ....
need to try feedly now ... but seems the same is down for me now ...

lol. probably the first time i am sort of unhappy with google+. they launched it with sparks. we assumed google reader would be upgraded with sparks. then they killed sparks. and now they are killing reader.
i am just afraid they might kill rss feeds in blogger 😀 twitter, facebook and google+ already have zero rss feeds.

Kill RSS Feeds in Blogger? Their own official blogs have millions of subscribers. :tongue: Unka kya hoga?

Btw Marco of Instapaper has an interesting take on this.
We’re finally likely to see substantial innovation and competition in RSS desktop apps and sync platforms for the first time in almost a decade. It may suck in the interim before great alternatives mature and become widely supported, but in the long run, trust me: this is excellent news.

it is not excellent news because blogs are a dying breed and the feeds we need today are the ones that are not available.
i actually use siftlinks to get a feed of my twitter stream. i love it i can go through the tweets from the time i was sleeping or offline. this is where RSS shines.
i really want something similar for google+ but too bad there are no options available out there.
the developer of siftlinks is already running the service from his own pocket. i cannot even think of requesting him to consider adding support for google+ 😀
hearing reports that flipboard is also showcasing itself as a replacement for google reader. this is hilarious. these people do not understand that most of us (some of us?) use rss feeds because we are not really interested in the latest up to date updates. we are interested in getting updates from services that updates occasionally and it is very easy to miss out on them because you cannot be online all the time.
i never really used google reader personally because i like my rss client like my gmail client. i treat rss feed updates as emails. i prefer to watch every single one of them before deleting them. google reader was not optimal for this kind of usage. opera mail works great for me.

First they removed the social features from the Google Reader.
Then they totally remove it.
I had used feedly before but Google Reader is not replaceable.
I am starting to hate google now.
Its true that RSS readers are not monetizable, but still some sanity should prevail!