Google Plus Comments Updates

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 1,949
Looks really nice. Am willing to give it a try once it launches for other platforms.

Right. Few things I do not like about it...
Threaded comments? Gone.
Ability to login using OpenID? Gone.
If you run a relatively popular blog, your comment section would become a huge mess as Google seems to be showing each individual share on Google+ even if it does not feature independent comments.

On my blog I don't care much about threaded comments. People don't bother to comment that much. 😛 But yes its much needed.
OpenID..ermm not sure when I used it last. But yes given the fact that every other commenting system allows you to login via various methods, Google can't expect users to be bound in a closed loop. G+ is still not very common with the masses.
3rd point is pretty bad. Am hoping once they open it, they might include some moderation options for controlling that.

It also annoys me that comments still do not have permalinks. Seriously. Even Facebook offer permalinks to practically everything. Individual items in help documents for example. The only exception is advanced options in their settings which is probably intentional heh.
About threaded comments. I get it that they have not cared to bring it on Google+ because of the smaller width of individual posts (if we ignore the shit load of white space on widescreen displays).
But on blogs, there is much more space and almost all commenting platform offer threaded commenting.

Another thing that annoys me a lot is that Google has not given an iota of consideration to make Blogger a suitable platform for 'switchers'.
Their import tool does not offer any option to import from WordPress blogs. Last time I checked there was a tool available that converted WordPress XML to Blogger XML but it only accepted 1MB data file at one time and even then the import process was pretty broken up.
I had move my few remaining blogs to Blogger the moment they offer pro quality import tools. I mean it does not make any financial sense to run self hosted WordPress blogs these days. Requires too much maintenance.

Seriously. Blogger really need good import and export tools. I have one more grudge with them. And that's their editor. It sucks totally. It applies 2-3 different css properties for a single block of text. And once you mess it up, it might just take years to figure out how to correct the formatting.

haha yeah. the post composer is painful to use!
i mean they have one of the best web based composer available in the form of Google Docs. and what they have on Blogger is a piece of turd.

Wp.com service is good with constant addition of features. Only if it was not so expensive and restrictive. Grr. Atleast let people host the domain for free. :nonchalance:

hehe yeah. and their import tools are some of the best in the market. they know how to attract users and keep them hostage. with posterous shutting down and tumblr being an ass it is, the competition today is limited to blogger and wordpress. and google does not take blogger seriously enough.