Google patents their homepage!

amish

Star gazer
What? Isnt this the simplest form of webpage? Anyone having one text box on page is likely to put it centered (horizontally and vertically).So does Google own rights to sue someone if he has BOX right at center of page?Google is turning evil and I can surely see heading MS way in future.

Sushubh

Administrator
In other words, subject to how the patent is enforced, Google owns the idea of having a giant search box in the middle of the page, with two big buttons underneath and several small links nearby. Since the time of the patent application in 2004, the company has moved some links, for searching News and Groups and other alternate databases, from directly above the search box to the top of the home page. But Google presumably believes its patent is broad enough to cover the variation.

Google Patents World's Simplest Home Page - Google - Gawker

----------

i think it could be used to target sites which 'replicates' google homepage to deceive users. :D

amish

Star gazer
It cud be use to smaller upcoming but competitive companies too (to block their progress). And that is basically a purpose. We will see in next 5 yrs.

Sushubh

Administrator
the fact remains... it is a patent which is hard to enforce. unless someone really replicates their homepage. search.yahoo.com has a similar layout. so does microsoft bing. but they are not exact replicas.

amish

Star gazer
yes but search box and 2 buttons below it, its so basic layout its not innovative thing. askjeeves. webcrawler were b4 google (my shell account days) and they had similar layout too. so google didnt innovate anything. how can they patent it?

W

warthog

what if wikipedia patents their homepage,so many wikis would have to shut down.copyrights and patents should be banned in the interest of humanity and sharing.

Sushubh

Administrator
wikipedia runs on mediawiki which they provide as an open source offering.

----------

there is a difference between patents and trademarks.

amish

Star gazer
yes design unless it is really extra-ordinary shud not be allowed to be patented. google's design is simple and its not extra-ordinary.any1 who wants to develop simple low bandwidth consuming search frontend will just have one box and button.

amish

Star gazer
just happened to go to -- link removed --

and their design is so close to google's.. infact they even have "i am feeling lucky" button!

so does that mean, google can target -- link removed -- too?

Last edited by a moderator: