Google Orkut Social Network Updates

• Thread starter Thread starter pushkar
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 217
  • Views Views 62,499
so have they implemented some kind of way to prevent facebook from importing friends list, atleast temporarily?

i have not tried. but i doubt there is going to be an issue. google data liberation team was recently formed and they cannot risk doing any such nonsense. 🙂

See told ya!

Evil in Google is awakening slowly 😀

----------

I am 100% sure that facebook was rapidly making orkut users migrate to facebook using that feature.

heh yeah. would be good to see how this story develops. export feature SHOULD include email IDs. without it, the feature is USELESS! 😀

Response from Google:

“Mass exportation of email is not standard on most social networks — when a user friends someone they don’t then expect that person to be easily able to send that contact information to a third party along with hundreds of other addresses with just one click. In order to protect user privacy, we now exclude email addresses from the CSV export file. Of course users can still export their friend lists in the CSV file. In addition, Google Contacts syncs with Orkut, so users can export their Orkut friends’ email addresses from Google Contacts. We support web standards such as OAuth and are working on ways to help users share their data more securely between social networks. We believe strongly that users own their data, and we’re committed to finding ways to make it easier for users to export data.”

Orkut Slows Hemorrhaging To Facebook By Making Friend Export Tool Nearly Useless

----------

They are right on one front. Google Contacts allow mass exportation of email ids. Maybe that is what they would block next 😛

One more sign of evil!!... Political word game clearly visible in that response paragraph.