Google Orkut Social Network Updates

• Thread starter Thread starter pushkar
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 217
  • Views Views 62,546
its different, facebook never had that feature. and facebook never claimed itself of being anti-competition.

Whereas google started with its motto as "not being evil" and open to everything.

but google is now showing true colors.

----------

until now MS or Yahoo or anybody, nobody threatened google so google kept claiming its clean image.

but since facebook is turning its orkut upside down, it sees the threat and hence turned doing evil thing 😀

You own all of the content and information you post on Facebook, and you can control how it is shared through your privacy and application settings.

Statement of Rights and Responsibilities | Facebook

----------

Facebook follows two core principles:

1. You should have control over your personal information.
Facebook helps you share information with your friends and people around you. You choose what information you put in your profile, including contact and personal information, pictures, interests and groups you join. And you control the users with whom you share that information through the privacy settings on the Privacy page.

2. You should have access to the information others want to share.
There is an increasing amount of information available out there, and you may want to know what relates to you, your friends, and people around you. We want to help you easily get that information.

Sharing information should be easy. And we want to provide you with the privacy tools necessary to control how and with whom you share that information. If you have questions or ideas, please check out our privacy help page.

Privacy Policy | Facebook

----------

i guess they are using the excuse that email addresses of your friends are not really owned by you but by them.

but then they do not provide an option to me if i want to allow my friends to use my details for such data exports.

in the end, facebook would probably be sued by privacy advocates in the USA someday in the future.

Yes so they are allowing u to show ur email address to friends and if ur friend allows then u can see their email address. Those statements in know way state that they will write a tool so u can export ur friends data.

eventually. i guess google's new position on data export is similar to facebook. they stated that email addresses are not your property even if someone decides to become your friend on a social network. people make friends with strangers online. and sharing your email id is probably not a good idea. that's why they are now shifting the 'capability' to google contacts. which is connected to gmail. which of course reveals the email id of the people i am communicating with.

so google will now decide if I sharing my email address with strangers is good or bad?

right. i can pick to show my email id to certain friends.

but that means that my email address can be manually copied to an alternative service. no one is stopping the friend from doing that.

but mass export is somewhat disabled.

i guess it is a safe policy considering the number of people 'people' tends to make friends on a social network.

they do not take their own privacy seriously so facebook had to take care of it for them.

google orkut did not do it properly earlier. and they fixed it. and thus the hoopla.

----------

you are already sharing your email id to someone if you are sending him/her an email.

but on facebook, your email id is not really revealed unless you want it to be.

i guess that was the reason they switched to 'facebook usernames' to remove the requirement of 'providing email ids' to people to add you.

----------

btw. if you read about google social search, you would have more reasons to be worried about wrt google. for privacy maniacs, it is a good time to check out your google profile (if you created it in the first place) and remove any connections (that you might have made). 🙂

Google did it to prevent facebook from importing contacts. It is still not serious. If you visit profile of any person then email address is in plain text. Which means if profile is public then ppl can still write programs to go thru profile and grab email address. Its very very easy to do.Facebook always was serious abt privacy. Even if email address is publicly visible it is shown as IMAGE, so automated programs can not grab email address easily.Facebook is very well planned. And thats the reason its getting very popular. Google here is really trying to block facebook. Otherwise it was known fact already that email address can be exported, why didnt they care abt privacy earlier?

well google did provide an option to export the list through google contacts.

that is the list that contains the people whose email ids are known to you!

there is a very important difference here. orkut friends and people you email.

facebook is providing NO option at all. so it's restrictive in nature. and very much against data portability which is becoming a very hot keyword just like online privacy.

its still pretty easy to import my friends from gmail through facebook without even exporting the CSV file. all email services providers this feature through API. facebook as that functionality built in.

----------

here is a simple question. which mode is preferred.

you enter your gmail details and get a list of people you communicate with.

you go to orkut, you export a file. you come back to facebook. you import that file.

----------

Some brazilians hackers have injected malicious Javascript in orkut, 1000's of profiles have been hacked.

The virus name is bom Sabado which means Good Saturday :hysterical:

In dis script there is a virus which makes ur profile in halt. U may join some brazilian communities.

Temp solution:

)Disble javascript of your webbrowser.
2)open m.orkut.com
3)delete those bom sobado scraps from your profile.
4)then use m.orkut.com for sending scraps.
*change your account password, secret question and secondary email address.
*dont visit your and any of the friends scrapbook.
*dont click on any suspicious link.
*dont click on spam thread in communities.
*use http://www.orkut.com for visiting communities only.

---------- Post added at 04:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:08 PM ----------

Media reports also published

Orkut attacked by 'Bom Sabado' worm - Tech News - IBNLive

yesterday my friends orkut being hacked they changed the pass.

For most users Orkut a/c and password wud be same as gmail/google a/c and passwd.
Which means, if orkut passwd is hacked whole gmail/google a/c wud be hacked.

---------- Post added at 09:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 PM ----------

Btw I hope that Noscript addon is preventing this cross-site script because its meant to do so. But I am not going to test it by going to orkut 😀

ohhh man i got 3 scraps "bom Sabado" from my friends i deleted them. is there any virus problem after deleting. i use old version orkut.

I too got same scrap, and before I could understand anything, 3 communities got added to my account & all my friends received same scrap from my account. I have changed password and also tried deleting all those scraps from my friend's scrapbook. I have noticed that many of my friends didnt login to Orkut today, and their accounts were safe, as no new community was added to their account 🙂Though I have changed my many passwords, would be create any further threat to my Google related accounts?

i also got 5 scraps from my friends mentioning that weird name..