Google moving away from the open source model for Honeycomb???

• Thread starter Thread starter rajadeep
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4
  • Views Views 1,097

rajadeep

Regular
ISP
MTNL 849NU
UPDATE: Google To Delay Open Availability Of Android Honeycomb - WSJ.com
Google Holds Honeycomb Tight - BusinessWeek

Hmm seems like Google is not going to release the HoneyComb to the public rather than just allowing companies it is comfortable with to have access... Interesting move... It might work in its favor so that it can control(regulate) Honeycomb more efficiently but for an OS whose slogan from the beginning has been open source this could turn out to be a bad move... Hopefully this wont affect small 3rd party app developers 🙁 ...

PS The comments in most of these articles were very funny to read... Basically many claim that all these articles in all these reputed mags & newspapers are written by Apple fanboys in some kind of conspiracy again Google 😛 ... BTW most of these articles are mostly only quoting what google has announced...

This could be in order to tackle malware infested and poorly developed apps.

This could be in order to tackle malware infested and poorly developed apps.

Hmm I gave this a second look & google is not closing off its SDK or introducing a apps regulatory system which would tackle Malwares & such... They are basically gonna control which device manufacturer can use honeycomb in their tablets... So I m guessing we are not gonna see any cheap micromax tablets based on Honeycomb?? 😛 😛 ... It could also mean that only device makers who install android market on thier devices(& pay google the required fees) will be allowed to use honeycomb... This idealogy seems like a far cry from the past highly vocal claims by google that android is completely Open Source...

google has made it pretty clear. android remains an open source platform. they are delaying the release of honeycomb source code for a couple of reasons... they had to take some shortcuts for the launch which means that a lot of work needs to be done before it can be released to third party developers. they are working on ensuring that 3.0 would work on smartphones too. it has largely been developed for tablets. but non-partners might start loading it up on smartphones. and it is a good thing that they are delaying the release. google certainly does not want chinese companies to start bundling out crappy tablets based on poor quality hardware running unoptimized builds of android 3.0 right away. it would look bad for google and it would look bad for android. of course, the source code is available to all the partner companies including samsung, htc, motorola and others. you and me cannot download it. but if any company has interests in developing android, i believe they can get access to it rather easily.