Google Messages (message categorization is rolling out in India)

bhojv74

Regular
ISP
JIO Fttx / Hathway

EUIamPe.webp
F5qJsrk.webp
yPolHja.webp
VINnSzo.webp
2mCmRdU.webp
FiiLuuk.webp
ygAn7JL.webp

Last edited by a moderator:
Whoa. This app is so pretty I have disabled Hangouts as my SMS app!

Right. I find it annoying that Hangouts has no search. I understand that Hangouts database could be years old but still.

This is a standalone sms app. Probably part of AOSP. Hangouts requires a Google account. Which is not idle for everyone. And also for markets like China. Google needs to provide a dedicated sms/mms app for these markets/consumers.

After merging sms and Hangout, again coming out with sms app is step backwards I feel 🙂
Now similarly Google should come with new app for Google Talk with real-time chat?

Hangouts is not part of AOSP. So, AOSP needs a native SMS app! Hangouts is a proprietary Google app. AOSP cannot have proprietary code! I think.

Google Messenger got updated with new rounded UI and rounded icon. Feels refreshing after using old app for so long duration.

From the app's description:
Stay in touch with friends and family. Messenger from Google is a communications app that helps you send and receive SMS and MMS messages to any phone. You can also send group texts as well as your favorite pictures, videos and even audio messages to your contacts.