Google Messages

i had to uninstall it too today. basically killed the battery while i was sleeping.

OnePlus forum has a few thread on this in the last couple of days. looks like a bad update.
or could be connected to category organization running in background.
my sms history is now a few years old so might make sense in my case.

On OnePlus 7 I have got Message Categorization, but its not available on Samsung S20+
OnePlus 7 not showing any battery drain, but I have not enabled chat feature yet.

I like ms sms organise and outlook app dark colour theme on oled screen... the black is full black and other colours are bit muted. Google mail etc black is little grayish with bright colours which I find a bit gaudy to my taste.

Alright. Finally got the categorization feature and it is still processing the texts.

And as expected, Google has delivered a half-assed product.

Categories are predefined. I cannot create my own. This was pretty much obvious. Since it is automatically categorizing texts. Still, manual labels would have been useful. Not a biggie.

There is no category for bills. It placed a message from Airtel about landline bill in transaction. I suppose that is sort of accurate but it is not exactly transaction. A specific category for bills would have been useful here.

I cannot seem to remove category for messages it seems. For example, I cannot remove the above text from transactions. Can move it to one of the other categories from the looks of it.

Also, there are no independent chats for categories. When you open a message inside category view, you open the entire thread. So, the thing I was most interested in doing wouldn't work here. Microsoft SMS Organizer has independent threads for categories and you can define independent notification settings for them. That does not seem like an option here.

And worst big is that the category labels are at the top. You cannot slide from one category to another. You have to reach at the top and tap on the categories to enter them. Idiocy.

Last edited:
last hour or so where it is categorizing, it is pretty bad. so i put it on charger. it is doing from oldest to newest it seems. has reached mid-may 2021 so should be just a matter of few more minutes.

Huh! So in my case categorisation was working fine till today when I checked my message only to realise that it is no more categorising. All labels do exist at the top. May be it's a server side thing and they really like to switch-on off whenever they please.
Would have stuck with Sms organiser but somehow Miui doesn't play nice with it.
Talk about discouraging users from using 3rd party apps!! 😒