Google Messages (message categorization is rolling out in India)

It got enabled automatically. No prompt or notification. And I've seen these categories many months ago as well, it got disabled shortly after. IIRC @socrates saw these categories as well.

Don't know how you guys use this app. My eyes hurt for the whole 2 minutes I had to look at it.

^^^ Same here. App looks very crowded compared to SMS Organizer with long list to scroll.

I think the reason some of you see the categories while others don't is because of this so called "A/B testing" process?

well since this feature has been officially announced, it is a staged rollout.

if samuel was getting it for a long time, then he was part of the A/B testing process 😛

yeah. this is probably due to rcs. google needs to find a way to get rcs working without disabling battery optimization. no other messaging app asks for that. and if they did, google would have been calling them bad programmers.

at my end, my number seems to be some kind of a blocklist now after i reinstalled messages way too many times to get the categorization working. now, categories are still not working and i cannot get activated on rcs lol.

My phone is old, and this battery drain is hurting it. 🙁

Message Organization got enabled without any updates on my phone, and there was no option to disable it earlier.

Now there is an option to disable it.

Source

yeah if you are not using it, just disable it and turn on battery optimization. rcs would not get configured unless you gave approval to turning off battery optimization though initially.

If I am not wrong, RCS = Chat features? I've disabled that. Battery drain issue is still there.

Battery optimization isn't available for Messages, it says.

FekL8RGl.webp

battery optimization option seems to be active here.

It's the same here. But it's accounting for about 33% of the overall battery usage.

i guess switch to a different app and see if there is significant improvement in battery life.

also try resetting the app and see if that helps without configuring rcs which would ask for disabling of battery optimization after reset.