Google Inactive Account Manager

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 19
  • Views Views 1,392
+100,000
This. Finally Google has taken this initiative. I wanted this for a long time. And yes there are some third party website who does provide such paid services. But it's always nice to be able to set them up from grounds up of the same network. I hope other social sites follow the suit & provide the similar service.

It lets you set an auto responder when the inactivity time period has passed. Leave a cryptic message for your friends who might accidentally message you after you die!

A friend just pinged me telling me that he is entering my name in his inactivity account manager.
The first question that popped in my mind? I am a chain smoker. I am likely to die sooner than him. I am a bad candidate to pick.
Also. What happens if both of us die together? In a car accident for example? I guess you can add multiple contacts...

I haven't yet looked it much but from what I read on the blog is that if the account is inactive for 3, 6, 9 or 12 months then it gets deleted. Doesn't it work that way? It should be that simple. Why involve other person?

chromaniac said:
It lets you set an auto responder when the inactivity time period has passed. Leave a cryptic message for your friends who might accidentally message you after you die!
If we assume that one person dies at his normal average 70 years of age. What are the odds that his alive remaining friends has the ability to even process the message? We've seen this much fast transition of technology withing few years. Do you really think we'll be able to keep up till 70 or 80 years of age.
We're not a Stephen Hawking. 😀 Plus I know that at certain point of life, we'll let go of all these online hassles. I know that I will. I am not going to be a slave of materialistic culture though out my life. Hence the point of assigning a friend or friends doesn't seem feasible to me.

I think it is more focused at people who die in freak accidents than of old age.
And the service lets you decide if you want your account deleted. And it is optional to give selected people access to your data.
I am not sure what the other person would do with your Google data like +1s and other content. He can only download your data. Would have been cool if he could login as you on your Google+ account for example and leave an update related to why you have suddenly disappeared.

Not a first of its kind but seems cleverly implemented.
And I guess adding contacts is optional. It says "you might want.."

Sort of hilarious to see Reader in the list considering it dies in a few months from now. 🙂

Very badly needed feature At-last introduced by Google,
Google does take your life seriously and now helps you safely dispose the account even after you expire, this is way to smart.
3 Cheers for Google ......

Not sure why did Google send me message in some other language when I was asked to verify my mobile number 😕

Well you should congratulate more other web services too. Microsoft especially is known to delete your account automatically if you do not login for a year or so. Would have to check what the latest expire time period is for Yahoo and Microsoft accounts. 😛
maníaco said:
Not sure why did Google send me message in some other language when I was asked to verify my mobile number 😕
You are not alone. Happened with me too. I am assuming that the feature was developed by a Google team based in Europe and they failed to internationalize the sms alert 🙂