Google Drive

Backup and Sync release notes - G Suite Administrator Help

You can now switch between syncing all files and folders versus photos and videos only. In Backup and Sync Preferences, click Change in the “My Computer” section to choose which files sync.
You can now ignore files by extension. In the “My Computer” section of Backup and Sync Preferences, click Changeand thenAdvanced settings, and then enter the file extensions to ignore. Note that this applies only to directories on your computer, not to the “My Drive” folder.
You can now right-click any folder and select Sync this folder to start syncing that folder to Google Drive.
Users are now notified when Backup and Sync can’t convert photos to high quality.
Fixed an issue where multiple copies of the executable were being created in Windows.
Fixed an issue where quitting Backup and Sync was taking a long time.
More bug fixes and performance improvements.

G Suite Updates Blog: Search within a folder in Google Drive

You can now search for content in a specific folder in Google Drive. Select the drop-down in the search bar and choose the folder you want from the Location menu, or right-click on a folder and search within that folder. Only folders that are within your My Drive or within Team Drives can be searched; if you have a folder that is shared with you, first add the folder to your My Drive.

Last edited:
Drive File Stream release notes - G Suite Administrator Help

February 22, 2018 — Customize cache location, set bandwidth, and pause syncing
Windows: 25.157.185.3 | macOS: 25.157.185.1505

You can now customize the content cache location for Drive File Stream to any directory on a connected APFS, HFS+, or NTFS file system. For details, see Configure Drive File Stream.
You can also now limit the upload and download bandwidth of Drive File Stream. See Configure Drive File Stream.
Users can now pause syncing. While paused, Drive File Stream will not upload local changes to Google Drive, and new versions of files made available offline will not be downloaded. From the Drive File Stream menu Drive File Stream, click MoreMoreand thenPause Syncing.
Users can now provide diagnostic logs when they submit feedback. From the Drive File Stream menu Drive File Stream, click MoreMoreand thenSubmit Feedback. In the feedback window, check Include diagnostic logs. To inspect the logs that will be included, click the "diagnostic logs" link.
Bug fixes and performance improvements.

Due to a new agreement between WhatsApp and Google, WhatsApp backups will no longer count against Google Drive storage quota. However, any WhatsApp backups that have not been updated in more than a year will automatically be removed from storage.
This policy will go into effect for all users on November 12, 2018 though some users may see the quota benefits earlier. To avoid the loss of any backups, we recommend that people manually back up WhatsApp before November 12, 2018.

what if you store all photos and videos that are shared? over a period of many years, that gotta take real storage?

I have backups disabled 😀

My phone is mostly clean. I delete everything within a day unless its a TODO thing.