Google Domains - Google Registry (RIP)

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 79
  • Views Views 9,527
Not sure when it happened. But Google Domains is officially available in India now!

Alright. Here is useful information for people who faced the same issue that drove me crazy for around an hour.
Google Domains would fail to transfer your existing domain to its own platform if MX records are missing on your domain.
The UI does not indicate this directly. It tells you that it fails to find email on your domain. I kept on checking WHOIS information to see if some data was missing on it.
By EMAIL, it essentially meant missing MX records. So there you go.

UI is fucked up. It is a mixture of old style Google and Material Design.
Prices are on the higher side compared with other services like Name.com, Namecheap.
Chat support was good and useful. Though I managed to find out the MX issue before the chat guy realized that was the problem.

One domain migrated to Google Domains. UI is a mess. Some elements are accessible from the fucked up material UI. Other elements have the old fashioned Google UI. Prices are higher than competing services. DNS panel did not recognize Google Apps MX records as it only suggests G-Suite MX records.

user interface seems to be uniform now. no shifting between old design and new design. very smooth now.

.com is INR 820+tax. cloudflare in comparison is USD 8.03. I assume tax would be 18%?

Well. Its all automatic. Long back I had transferred from Bigrock to GoDaddy and it happened fast too.

the process is automated. but usually domain companies give 4-5 days to the owner in case the transfer was done by a hacker or such.
here i moved the domain from google to cloudflare in just around 5 minutes. FIVE MINUTES.

As per this - it says it waits for 5 days only if original owner does not approve the request.

So if you yourself are owning the domain and give approval (+ secret code) then it should not take time.

Transferring a Domain Name to Another Registrar | KnowledgeBase

It also says that w.e.f from 25 May 2018 - e-mail approval is not required. So I guess only secret code is enough.

As per ICANN's new domain transfer guidelines, effective 25th May 2018, all domain transfers will not require Form of Approval (FoA). The Transfer Authorization process will not require the Registrant Contact's approval via e-mail.

i manually approve pretty much every single time. but this is still the fastest i have seen wrt domain transfer. pretty cool.
still remember the time back in early 2000s when net4 fucked up big time and it took us a week to change dns for a domain.
here i changed nameserver of the domain from google to cloudflare, applied for transfer, paid for it, approved the transfer, transfer happened within 5 minutes!

Yep. Waiting for my Axis bank card. Once it comes I will do the transfer.

I might transfer one domain from bigrock to cloudflare soon in a week. Will report how much time it took.

Took 5 days to transfer from bigrock to cloudflare. They have no approval system. You have to wait 5 days after applying for transfer