Google Plus Updates

• Thread starter Thread starter jayant
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1,207
  • Views Views 99,002
Google+ Shutting Down Following Privacy Vulnerability – Variety

In announcing the closure, Google acknowledged that Google+ failed to gain significant traction with consumers. “The consumer version of Google+ currently has low usage and engagement: 90 percent of Google+ user sessions are less than five seconds,” the company said in a statement.

for years they kept the numbers secret because they did not want to admit what a failure they had on their hands with g+ despite how much they forced it on their platform.

now to justify shutting it down, they are revealing the numbers. ignoring the fact that there is a large number of people who are using g+ on a daily basis running highly successful communities with good user base.

Yes m sure enterprises will be okay with using google plus now that they disclosed the hack after these many years /s. what a shit show. it was a good product which they launched with that shitty invite system, just like google inbox.

i did not read the entire blog post. but from my understanding the issue is with signin with google+.
google+ itself did not get hacked or anything.
they reduced the number of developers working on the product. of course something was going to be overlooked.
and now they say that it takes too much effort so we are just shutting down the entire platform instead of fixing the product.

I could never understand g plus UI, I made sure to stay away from it !

i did not read the entire blog post. but from my understanding the issue is with signin with google+.
google+ itself did not get hacked or anything.
they reduced the number of developers working on the product. of course something was going to be overlooked.
and now they say that it takes too much effort so we are just shutting down the entire platform instead of fixing the product.
Its like giving permissions in android to android apps. When android apps require permission to read otps, they ask permissions to read entire messaging app. similarly, some apps were skimming google plus data when you authorise them. so theyre shutting down entire google plus and making sure android apps also require less permission in near future onwards

It's kind of annoying because they dumped Google+ Sign In and made it Google Sign In when they removed mandatory requirement for Google+ for a bunch of things last year. So Google+ data should not have been leaking in the first place when they noticed the issue in March this year.