Google Buys Youtube In $1.65-bn Deal

smartbuddy_82

Regulars
ISP
MTNL
SAN FRANCISCO: Google bought hot young video-sharing website YouTube on Monday in a $1.65-billion stock deal that the companies proclaimed was a natural for the evolving Internet.

The acquisition married Google's online search prowess with a video-sharing website renowned for devotees but not revenues. \"With Google's technology and search leadership we will have the resources to take our services to the next level,\" YouTube co-founder Steven Chen said during a telephone press conference with Google executives.

\"We believe this is just the beginning.\" YouTube soared to online popularity after its launch in February 2005. The company claims that more than 100 million videos are watched daily by visitors to the free website, which features content ranging from silly home videos to snippets of Hollywood films, television shows and concerts.

Google said that it was drawn to YouTube because it was the clear market leader and had put together a \"remarkable team\" in a short time.

\"We think one of the keys to comprehensive search experience will be video,\" said Google co-founder Sergey Brin. \"On the whole it is hard for me to imagine a better fit with another company. YouTube really reminds me of Google just a few short years ago.\"

Google's stock price rose slightly to $431.75 a share in trading that followed the announcement of the deal, which came after the close of the financial markets in New York.

\"It will be interesting to see what happens next and what happens in the copyright world,\" outspoken billionaire investor Mark Cuban wrote in a fresh weblog entry titled \"I still think Google is crazy.\"

\"I still think Google lawyers will be a busy, busy bunch.\" Cuban has referred publicly to YouTube as a lawsuit magnet because users freely upload digitized videos, television shows and other copyrighted material. [/b]

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/2133520.cms

There is difference dear... 🙂 To be acquired and acquired is different... 😛Anyways I should have posted in the same thread instead of starting a new one, my bad... 🙁

I dont totally agree because most of the services of Google are still free but yes are acquiring small companies to expand their growth like MS had done...But I dont know when GMAIL will come out of Beta, its been ages since its been into Beta... 🤔

Well Google not really like microsoft in terms of business practices, they still follow standards and dont try to create new ones just for selfish interests...technically speaking,...Growth wise they are following the Microsoft pattern, which I think is nothing wrong really...

i have no idea how you can compare google with microsoft. one is a software company which is failing to do much on the web front. another is a web company which does not want to get much into software market. on the internet, no one can force a monopoly. on the software front, microsoft practically has a monopoly.

QUOTE(Sushubh @ Oct 12 2006, 12:03 AM) [snapback]64933[/snapback]
i have no idea how you can compare google with microsoft. one is a software company which is failing to do much on the web front. another is a web company which does not want to get much into software market.

on the internet, no one can force a monopoly. on the software front, microsoft practically has a monopoly.
[/b]
Microsoft is trying hard to get into web based software delivery. If part pf MS Office (e.g. Grammer Checker / Powerpoint Templates / Notes Lookup /Tagging.......) is delivered from net, users will not be able to pirate it that easily. MS is looking into ad based revenue as well.

Lots of things like Live mail / Local Live might be in direct competetion with google services. And they might be chasing same revenue stream (online adverts).

Balmer said things to same effect couple of days back.

Google has google desktop picasa etc. If this, along with Google docs are successfull and get significant home-user mindshare MS has things to worry about.

Why internet can't have monopoly?? Isn't there a monopoly in search engine with 85% of market being enjoyed by google??Also isn't google using it to promote its other services like gmail and stylesheets by including it on serch page Similar to what microsoft do by including its browser and messenger services in its windows.

monopoly in the search engine market? i can easily start using yahoo for my online searches. i use google coz its better. no one is forcing you to use google for online searches. on the other hand, lack of popular applications on non-ms platform forces you to use microsoft windows.google is not forcing you to pay or use gmail. its there if you want to use it. as for microsoft getting into online web services. Live Mail sucks. They are still considering launching online office tools. Google just launched Google Docs and Spreadsheets and it's awesome. microsoft keeps on announcing things while rarely delivering it on time. google delivers and then announces. they are pretty much like Apple, that's why people love them.

No one is forcing developers to write apps for windows either........Adobe et. el. are free to develop for Linux. Google docs is useful for trivial docs, but it lacks things like charting / pivot table / vlookup that office users need.

the marketshare of microsoft windows is one of the big reason why companies like adobe focus on it. in fact they have stopped development of some of their tools even for the mac platform. as for linux. most regular people use linux coz its free (and perhaps open source). you dont expect adobe to provide their photoshop for free on linux.

Thats the point. MS cant force others to refrain from writing for Linux/Mac. They don't do it simply because in their view it will not make $$$ sense to develop on Linux.Similarly if you own a website, it will not make sense to put your marketing $$$ on a service that not too many people use. Most of online advert revenue will go to Google's web services.

The main point i am focussing is both are using there dominance in one field to gain there share in other related field mostly by there monoplistic practices.