Google Android Pie

Some websites mentioning Android 9 Pie, some Android Pie. So what is exact name? Not that it matters, but Google never had number in naming I believe. Even in Update notification its Android 9 - Pie.

When can I update my Xperia to Android Pie? - Sony Mobile Blog

Our Premium-range models are expected to have the upgrade available from November, meaning owners of the Xperia XZ2, XZ2 Premium, XZ2 Compact, Xperia XZ Premium, XZ1 and XZ1 Compact will be among the first to get their hands on the new tech.

Owners of XA2, XA2 Ultra and XA2 Plus devices can expect to access the upgrade early 2019.

Google Online Security Blog: Google and Android have your back by protecting your backups

Starting in Android Pie, devices can take advantage of a new capability where backed-up application data can only be decrypted by a key that is randomly generated at the client. This decryption key is encrypted using the user's lockscreen PIN/pattern/passcode, which isn’t known by Google. Then, this passcode-protected key material is encrypted to a Titan security chip on our datacenter floor. The Titan chip is configured to only release the backup decryption key when presented with a correct claim derived from the user's passcode. Because the Titan chip must authorize every access to the decryption key, it can permanently block access after too many incorrect attempts at guessing the user’s passcode, thus mitigating brute force attacks. The limited number of incorrect attempts is strictly enforced by a custom Titan firmware that cannot be updated without erasing the contents of the chip. By design, this means that no one (including Google) can access a user's backed-up application data without specifically knowing their passcode.

Samsung confirms Android Pie update roadmap for Galaxy S8/S8+, Note 9, other phones

So finally some update news about my A8+...

Samsung-Android-Pie-roadmap.jpg

By Oct 2019, Google would have already released Android 10.0 😀
But Samsung is known for delays in releasing major Version updates due to their own Customization on top. My A8+ also came with Android 7.0 and later in July 2018 got Android 8.0 update.