Google Android Jelly Bean

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 132
  • Views Views 10,854
do you know anything about android development? newer editions of android support existing apps by default. majority of android apps are compatible with android 2.2 and above. and android actually lets you develop apps that work on smartphones and tablets at the same time without releasing different versions for the two different segments.

I wish they retrospectively name their versions 1.0 & 1.1 with something starting with A & B respectively 😀

A history of Android version numbers

Android 1.0: No codename
Android 1.1 No codename
Android 1.5: Cupcake
Android 1.6: Donut
Android 2.0/2.1: Eclair
Android 2.2: FroYo
Android 2.3: Gingerbread
Android 3.0: Honeycomb
Android 4.0: Ice Cream Sandwich
Android 4.1: Jelly Bean

1.0 :AppleJuice
1.1 :BerryCat

Google Always name Android Version after Desserts, So your Recommendations will not be Accepted by them 😛eaceful:

Any idea what would be K L M N etc...

edit K would be key lime pie

i am not sure how ios development works. but from what i remember, the ipad when it was launched offered to run iPhone apps at 2x the size and not full screen. android apps are supposed to adapt itself to the resolution of the device no matter what it is. you can run android on a laptop and the apps would adapt to the size of the display on the laptop. that's how it works on android laptops i believe. and that's how android app works on a variety of devices with different sized displays with varied resolution. developers of course are able to bundle a different app altogether for the tablets in the apk but it is not really necessary if your app can work on a larger display.

maybe Apple has changed their thing with iphone only apps running on the ipad. i am not sure.

Apps can run in their original size or expand to fill the screen. Tap the 1x or 2x icon in the bottom right of the screen to switch between sizes.

iPad: Using applications designed for iPhone and iPod touch

I guess they have! But:

Text and graphics may not appear as sharp when using 2x mode. If you prefer sharper text and graphics, use 1x instead.

You said google allows devs to develop apps for phones and tabs simultaneously without needing separate versions. Universal iOS apps work the same way. But that's a decision Apple left to the devs. They can choose to have separate iPhone and iPad versions. In which case an iPhone app will indeed be scaled @2x with a small border around it instead of using the iPad's native resolution. And an ipad app wont be playable on iPhones. But if they want, they can also develop it as a universal app which will not just work on iPhones an iPads both but also use native resolutions of both of them.

And you still have more options after choosing for universal app. Lazy (or cash/time strapped) devs can simply scale the same iPhone version to fill the iPad screen at its native resolution which takes minimal to no effort from the devs (not speaking from experience here though, I'm not a Dev. Just what I've read about it). Or when a different UI isn't really required much, like in gaming apps with no on screen buttons, such as where's my water (excellent game btw, available on android too afaik). Others who realise that a phone and a tablet should have different UI and different features can have two completely different apps in a single package which will work best on both iPhones and iPads. For example, check out the twitter app. Look at the iPhone screenshots (first 4 images) and then compare to iPad screenshots (last 2 images) and you'll get an idea of what I'm trying to say here. So I think this works even better than googles offering. Now please correct me if I'm wrong here (not an android expert by any means) but it seems like google encourages same interface for all devices no matter if it's screen size is 3 inches or 10 or somewhere in between. I dont think that's a good strategy. It's probably a necessicity for google since the difference between android phones and tabs could be as little as two inches so they don't really have a choice but scaling instead of optimised UI for different screen sizes. But this has resulted in some amazing apps on the iPad. If apple took that approach, it could have been catastrophic for iPad IMO.

Also, this choice for the devs has been there since day one.

Apple's approach is that we have these two devices and these four resolutions. google's approach is that we have a variety of devices in all shapes and sizes and at all price points. from what i see, i am doing what i am doing because PCs follow the google's approach and not apple's approach. my parents could afford a computer back in 1997 and it was a pc not a mac. if we had limited choices in personal computing on the lines of what apple offers, i do not think computing would be what it is today. google has made smartphones affordable. just like microsoft/ibm/intel made computers affordable. apple has their own vision of personal computing that does not generally favor the masses. they might have the best looking devices out there providing an out of this world user experience but i do not think they are doing what microsoft did for PCs and google did for smartphones. as for google's approach to development, developers have a choice designing a tablet optimized layout of their apps but since the tablet market is so small, it has not really caught on. but it eventually would. android is yet to reach its froyo for the tablet segment. android became a real mobile platform with froyo... before that it looked like a hacked platform that looked shitty. remains to be seen when we would get the froyo of the tablet market. honeycomb and ice cream sandwich have not been it. let's see what google has in store with their upcoming nexus 7 tablet which should be announced/launched later this month at the google i/o event... microsoft has made things even more complicated for them in the tablet market. pc users would soon have a windows powered tablet that would let them run desktop apps. this is something that apple and google are not offering. apple by choice. google simply does not have the capability. but one thing is for sure, android for tablet has been a flop until now no matter how many models samsung and the likes have launched or are planning to launch. the app ecosystem has failed them.and of course google does not 'encourage' same interface for phones and tablets. they have different interfaces for a lot of their own apps (gmail for instance). they just made the platform fluid enough to run smartphone apps on tablets if the developer did not bother to release a tablet optimized version. i have not used ipad long enough to see how well iPhone apps work on it but i am sure that the user experience is not very good compared to android smartphone apps running on an android tablet. i can see this from the launch of the retina display macbook pro which require all os x apps to get a UI update to support the higher resolution. apple resizes the app user interface to look better on the higher resolution display (something related to dpi. i am not really an expert in this area). microsoft on the other hand does not do that. it sucks because the UI becomes smaller, text becomes smaller but at least developers do not have to program their apps to support different resolutions running different DPIs out there.

Yes to iPhone only apps sucking on iPad. They are downright unusable unless there's some sort of emergency and you have no other choice. But most of the apps today are either universal or have a separate iPad version so thats not an issue. iPhone apps sucking on iPad is a major reason why iPad has all these great optimised apps. And no, Apple and Microsoft dont have different approaches to different resolutions or PPIs. Up until the retina MacBook they worked pretty much the same. There was no need for updated apps for a higher resolution mac. Stuff looked tiny if you hooked up a 13 inch 1080p monitor with a mac. But since apple is the only manufacturer of macs, the issue wasn't as big for them since they didn't have 13 inch laptops with 1080p screens alongside 15 inch laptops with 720p (which is a common case in windows world. not saying its a negative or a problem, just pointing out the reason). With the retina MacBook apple for the first time made a huge leap in ppi and decided it was worth the effort to recode the apps for this screen. They could have simply allowed unoptimised apps to run on native res but that'd have resulted in really tiny buttons and text. So they forced the devs to update their apps for retina display and it was the correct choice (and possibly the only choice) for apple IMO. What good is a retina display if you can't even use the app in the way it was intended to be. Worst case scenario, the app looks exactly like it'd look on a lower ppi screen. Best case scenario, with a few tweaks, apps look amazing on the high res display. I actually thank googles and Microsofts of the world. Because of them apple doesn't have to worry about the world while they do what they think is the best way to do something. If it was a mac only world, apple will be forced to make cheap (which more often than not are shitty, even if completely usable) computers and phones and tablets. Now they can just sit back, relax and focus on the best products (with best profit margins, hehe) even if they aren't the most universal solutions. (just to clarify, I didn't say all android and windows products are cheap and shitty or imply that all cheap devices/computers are shitty. They too have expensive premium offerings. And they also helped make cheap yet not-shitty products possible too.)

On similar lines, I thank Apple for giving life to an old proverb - "A fool and his money are soon parted" - It gives an avenue for rich, lazy, non-tech savvy people to feel great about their purchase while Apple goes laughing all the way to the bank. At least we don't have to suffer people like that on Android forums etc. They annoy me enough in real life.