Good News

• Thread starter Thread starter TDuncan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 61
  • Views Views 12,250
Till date there is no such circular in Calcutta Telephones.We all will undoubtedly be very happy if such a circular arrives here at Calcutta Telephones also.

The CO I spoke to (in Bangalore), said that the Billing officer told him that he received a circular on June 10th saying that they needn't charge anyone till June 30th. He said he was unable to access his intranet at that moment to check it up, but he will receive a fax from him in a couple of days. I will try and get in touch tommorow or maybe on Saturday and see if I can get hold of the fax. I will scan it across and post it here, if I get my hands on it. Till then ...

>>if they could give unlimted downlaods for a period of 9 months why not continue >>with it instead of spending thousands of rupees on those CRD's which keep a >>track of downlaods...sheer injusticeActually they reuse the same tapes hundreds of times (possible theoretically atleast) to store the usage CDRs over time. So they dont really end up spending that many thousands after all as you think. It's just a one time investment for the tape media and tapes usually work fine for years...But making it unlimited (even at 3K pm) will mean that they will only not be able to charge people uniformly over time and lose out. A geek like me could theoretically dload 60 GB pm (30 x 24 x 7 on say EMule Extreme, Bearshare, torrents, Azureus etc) and be charged just 3K pm(ie - 50Rs/GB), but someone who just uses it for email dloads say 100 MB pm and gets charged Rs 500 (which is effectively Rs 5000 per GB), which is a 100 fold difference. That would be unfair for a lot of people and if you look at the median zone in the arithmetic progression, most ppl just use it for email and chat (70% of the populace in general).

The explanation u have given is fine....but its not implemeneted in countries like US,Japan,Korea.....They have a fixed price weather u donwload 10's of Gb or a few Mbs....and thats excatly the way it should and your concept of pricing / Gb is not really good. Something which you have downloaded is not worth at all for others.....

BSNL operates in 21 circles in India. There are total of 23 circles. BSNL does not operate in Mumbai and Delhi.To attract customer or achieve target, sometime BSNL launches promotional offers in a particular circle. I fear this may be the case here. Because at Calcutta Telephones the Dataone billing software is up and running.Still I am hopeful that there may a circular like that to arrive here at Calcutta Telephones also.

>>To attract customer or achieve target, sometime BSNL launches promotional >>offers in a particular circle. I fear this may be the case here. Because at Calcutta >>Telephones the Dataone billing software is up and running.That's not possible in my opinion...If I am not mistaken the billing for all the centres is done from Bangalore itself (the BSNL warehousing centre is in CocksTown I beleive). That's why it is such a huge scale op. And I know that the usage mediation has started, (that's why some users can see their usage already on the IP address that was given to change password etc but only in a cryptic way with just the number of kbytes used per session etc), but the billing servers are still in the process of getting deployed. So, I dont think anybody is going to get any bills for 30K etc that they expect.

The OP should really edit the title "unlimited for all" ! LOL I almost jumped for joy then almost started to cry when the first post had "unlimited for rs 500 people who sign before june 30th" boohoo 😎

Originally posted by TDuncan@Jun 15 2005, 01:26 PM
If I am not mistaken the billing for all the centres is done from Bangalore itself (the BSNL warehousing centre is in CocksTown I beleive).

Each circle of BSNL has its own billing software. It is NOT REPEAT NOT centrally controlled.

What makes you think that they (in spite of beng a 50,000 crore market cap monolith?) have the wavelength to set up separate billing centres all across the country??? Can you imagine the infrastructure needed to do that? From what I heard, it will only be done from bangalore for all centres!!!

It is NOT REPEAT NOT centrally controlled. [/b]

Nah...ure definitely wrong there. The main billing wud be done at bangalore itself.

I went and saw the local setup myself- there is no proper billing server per se, over here.

Whatever they have passes all info to Bangalore.

And yes, it's impossible to have billing done everywhere..it's just a waste of money..

And BTW i doubt this unlimited offer uptill Sep 30th..spoke to the person in charge of the local area and he only said they they MIGHT intro night UL plans..nothing else..

I still insists and IT IS FACT that billing is not centrally controlled.BSNL is trying to implement a software called DOTSoft. It is still in experimental stage.Some circles of BSNL still use DOTSoft, which is not the Integrated version. It is the local version. BSNL AP circle use DOTSoft.

As you said there is no proper billing server...wudnt that take time to get setup and untill then we might have unlimted downlaods?

BSNL has billing software circlewise. In some circle it may be possible that Dataone billing software is still not ready while in other circle it is up and running.

In Calcutta Telephones usage details of individual Dataone users were unavailable before month of April, because the billing software was not ready by that time. Now it is ready here at Calcutta Telephones.

But our friend says that the software is still not ready in Bangalore (ie. in Karnataka circle, Bangalore is in Karnataka Circle). So it is highly possible that there unlimited usage offer will be extended till September. The individual circles has power to circulate such orders within the circle. But they CANNOT issue such orders for all circles. Such orders are issued from BSNL headquarter at Sanchar Bhaban, New Delhi.

No such order has arrived till now here at Calcutta Telephones.

That is why I am affraid that it is an intracircle issue.