Good News

• Thread starter Thread starter TDuncan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 61
  • Views Views 12,246

TDuncan

I am assuming that there would be others like me who would have crossed their 1GB limits thanks to EMule, EDonkey etc 🙂 > If so, please read on...I got my DataOne Connection (256 KBps) on April 11th, after registering on the 2nd of April ( 2 days after March 31st). Since I was worried about my next bill ( as I have already used up about 7.5 GB since then), I enquired with the Commercial Officer (Bangalore) yesterday and he told me after checking up with a Finance/Billing Officer and his Manager (AGM??) that they have received a circular on their Intranet on the 10th of June that there wont be any excess billing (even for those who have registered after March 31st (like me)) 🙂 He also confirmed that since they dont have the billing servers in place , they will only charge the minimum 500 for everybody, irrespective of when they registered. There are also plans to extend the unlimited plan for 500 Rs till Sept 30th for everyone who registers before June 30th, though he cant confirm it yet. Anyway, please ignore if you all already knew about this...Hope it helps. TDuncan

Is true for all circles of BSNL or applies to Bangalore circle only?

Not so sure, but anyway he said that he thinks it holds for all centres in India, as the tariffs are common to everybody. But please speak to your area officer to confirm. Off Topic but FYI - I know they use Kenan as the billing solution and the servers are still not up and running yet (as of yesterday). It might take them some time to get it done (kenan's not easy, surely not the best). Hence they might extend it till Sept 30th too, till they can get things working properly, but I cant confirm it. It will surely be fun otherwise with some people getting a bill for 5-6 lakhs due to mediation/billing errors as I have noticed in similar cases before (even with implementations/projects on a smaller scale). Also OT again but FYI - they use TeMIP (from erstwhile Compaq, now HP) for their Fault Management which is one of the best in the world. It should be up and running soon, and should help ensure that the service is 24x7.

BSNL has a very good reputation that they never use any good product, be it software, hardware, telecom equipments or testing equipment.

now that you told me i already believe it .... it better be true :angry: :angry: please !? 🙁

He did say that the news of unoffical...its ur fault that you started beleiving.

no man! i read the topic header and believed it rightaway...i don't want to unbelieve it now !

If thats what happened to you...same thing happened to me too :mellow:

Trust me, it's the mediation that is the hardest part - ie - the process of parsing the huge sets of CDRs generated for the usage logs (from the proxies or routers or gateways or whatever) and then aggregating them and uploading them into the Billing system in a format that it understands - billing s/w are dumb 🙂. Mind you the CDRs are in binary and the format differs for each device. Billing and Mediation needs to be in alpha atleast for a couple of months and then an internal beta for the same duration for all the trivial issues to get sorted out - as I said yesterday, else you're gonna have customers getting bills of 6 digits or even negative numbers - and that can backfire with a lot of negative PR about their service - so they're not going to take a risk unless they fix up and get sure and feel sure again and more and again... They should'nt mind about 2000 geeks like us using say about 10 G/month for just 500 Rs as they will anyway make up in the long run - what makes you think I will reduce my usage once I get hooked after all. Regarding whether they are collecting the usage data - you betcha - they use tapes to store close to 10 million CDRs a day and they will be processing them internally - but just not going to charge anyone till they make things work properly down to the right decimal point. Also, the only thing they bother about as of now is getting a huge subscriber base - they need 5 million users surely to even break even on their infrastructure costs that they have already spent - and they cant risk losing existing subscribers due to some minor inconvenience caused - after all they cant spend millions on marketing and need to depend on viral marketing to get the initial base - like me telling 10 of my friends that I like BSNL and them all telling 10 friends each and so on over time. One more thing - the guy was saying that they are also thinking of giving away an unlimited connection for a nominal price (could be upwards of 3K though) to home users - can someone confirm that please if you know. Anyway, just my 2 cents...Feel free to disagree and throw it at me...

Yea I too feel that those sarkari ones will take their time to setup the billing system...😀

I dont think it will take till Dec 31st, only till Sept 30th probably as I heard from them. Otherwise it will be a loss for them. Anyway just to let you know, I downloaded 1.4 GB yesterday 🙂. Make hay while the sun shines...

Well, they will not suffer any loss even if they have all plans as unlimited. They have arrangement for unlimited transfer which they share among DataOne users. And bandwidth charges has dropped recently... 😀

These people must really be shameless to put that limit after sept 31.For all the 9 months (if they extend the offer to sept 31) they have been giving unlimimted downaloads and after we get use to the system they are pulling us back badly.....How good is that....if they could give unlimted downlaods for a period of 9 months why not continue with it instead of spending thousands of rupees on those CDR's which keep a track of downlaods...sheer injusticeAnd as coming towards the unlimited scheme for home users , our firend has said that they might do that but the cost will be 3k upwards.........Back to the same point where we started?? Isnt . Going towards the past....When i look my slef 2yrs. behind , i remember the time where i got a 64kbps unlimted connection for Rs900...And even now things are more or less the same..Zero improvementTalking about improvement i have heard from an inidan living in japan who migrated there 2 yrs back..At that time a 1mbps connection was common there and now he is getting 100mbps connection at the same price . When will we come close to those terms??? Only God knows