• Views Views 6,767

ajuravi007

Regulars
ISP
Airtel
Its an old news but i thought of sharing it with you guys:

Nimbus may be put up for sale:thumbsup::yahoo:
3 Nov, 2007, 0217 hrs IST,Boby Kurian & Anto T Joseph, TNN

BANGALORE/MUMBAI: Nimbus Communications is believed to be on the block. Strategic investors, including private equity major 3i and some Nimbus promoters, are seen firming up plans to exit the Mumbai-based media company, which holds the global rights for BCCI-owned cricket in India till 2010.

Sources said the Nimbus board will soon consider three proposals—one from a UK-based media major for a majority stake in the company, and two others from international distress fund Ashmore and a media investment company from Singapore for a significant minority stake.

Sources said the proposed deal will include selling existing shares and issuing fresh ones. Nimbus has been in the market for raising around $100 million by placing around 15% with PE investors, which would have valued it at $700-800 million. But the company, which has been under pressure from advertisers for its weak distribution, has seen the negotiations drag on.

Sources said the contours of dealmaking may undergo significant changes with strategic players stepping in. When contacted, Nimbus chairman Harish Thawani said: "While there may be proposals before us expressing interest to take a controlling stake, it is highly unlikely that the board will recommend them. We believe the best years are clearly ahead of us.”

Mr Thawani added that 3i is a long-term player in Nimbus, and he is not aware of any move by it to exit. He said the fund-raising need of Nimbus is limited at the moment while adding that he intends to be in-charge of the company. Last year, Nimbus stunned the biggies by bagging BCCI’s cricket rights for $612 million, pipping the Zee Group.

Sources said the European media entertainment major in the fray will be interested only in a majority control, and hence its interest will depend on the Nimbus promoter’s move. It is believed that suitors may go in for further negotiations on the valuation as Nimbus struggles with distribution and lower TRPs in the wake of feed sharing with Doordarshan.

In the just-concluded India-Australia series, Nimbus’ sports channel, Neo, had a TRP of just 1.4 against DD’s 5. Further, recent media reports indicated that it is involved in a tussle with BCCI over delay in making payments to the latter.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/News/News_By_Industry/Media__Entertainment_/Nimbus_may_be_put_up_for_sale/articleshow/2513719.cms

Very good news..... They are still not learning from their mistakes. I am still following DD telecast eventhough I have Neo. Pathetic commentary and ad-mixing. Even SetMax was 100 times better.hope ES or TS will invest some money, buy the channel, get the telecast rights and kill Neo

When Neo sports and Neo Plus were going to be launched , i was very excited about it. But now it's clear to see why existing shareholders are thinking of exiting this venture. There are already too many issues with it. Pathetic ad-oriented telecast , lack of good commentators , very average pre and post match programs. The government ordinance was a killer blow and i don't think Nimbus can ever recover from that. Espnstar on the other hand won't be that affected by the ordinance as they have already proved themselves as a quality broadcaster and people will always prefer it over DD.

ESS wud not buy 2 more sports channel for no use.

I hope nimbus is acquired by some foreign companies very soon and we could benefit from that:thumbsup::yahoo:

I hope nimbus is acquired by some foreign companies very soon and we could benefit from that:thumbsup::yahoo:

i hope that foreign broadcaster be either SKY SPORTS or CHANNEL 9 and still if they can`t than atleast SABC SPORTS of South Africa or may be neo sports can sell its content to some other channel and discontinue the channel . i guess the giving contents to some other sports chennel will be good , as now there are lot of useless sport channel have crept in the country some of them are NEO and Star Cricket , they are also diluting the quality

i hope that foreign broadcaster be either SKY SPORTS or CHANNEL 9 and still if they can`t than atleast SABC SPORTS of South Africa or may be neo sports can sell its content to some other channel and discontinue the channel . i guess the giving contents to some other sports chennel will be good , as now there are lot of useless sport channel have crept in the country some of them are NEO and Star Cricket , they are also diluting the quality
I totally agree with you now star cricket is also something like crap channel as they dont show any international matches and i wonder whats the use of the channel. I belive they are keeping that channel for australia domestic matches, english county matches & for indian cricket matches. There is no exclusive content in star cricket.:wall:. They are just showing the same repeated programmes:wall:.

cant understand some silly posts here thinking that some foreign companies will buy neo sports which only has BCCI rights :hysterical: which must be share on DD also.

I totally agree with you now star cricket is also something like crap channel as they dont show any international matches and i wonder whats the use of the channel. I belive they are keeping that channel for australia domestic matches, english county matches & for indian cricket matches. There is no exclusive content in star cricket.:wall:. They are just showing the same repeated programmes:wall:.
Thats why they are still an FTA channel...... The moment they get an exclusive content, they will show the true colors and will become a pay channel.