Good news for airtel users

• Thread starter Thread starter gabruputt
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 81
  • Views Views 15,108
Hi Guys! My first post here 😛Very nice to hear that....i've got 1 gb limit as of now.... hope that it turns into unlimited at the same price.... 😉

Reliance will only enter the broadband picture (in a big way) after the unbundling of the local loop. The main deterrent for them right now is last-mile connections.

Finally after another four hours of fiddling around and couple of modem changes......my net is back to normal...the problem was in their exchange. I again asked the technicians if Airtel was upgrading all our connections by next month ......a resounding "Yes Sir" came the reply.....so my hopes are alive again ....for now.

gabruputt, the way you've written "a resounding yes sir" reminds me of that haywards beer ad. in which the first dude asks for haywards 2000, and then, the bigger dude asks for haywards 5000. to which, the bearded bartender replies, "yes sir!";-)

Originally posted by gabruputt@Nov 29 2005, 03:58 PM
It is true that many Indians are happy with their 256 k connections provided by BSNL. Infact some in my office have downgraded their plans from their existing Rs. 500 to Rs. 250........[snapback]33538[/snapback]
[/quote]
I have 1 GB download limit for my account and free MBs stand at 785.33. And I have downloaded Firefox latest version, Opera Latest version and few other utilities + Antivirus + Anti spyware updates. This coupled with heavy surfing, chatting and VOIP did not consume more then 400 MB.

Only thing that I did not do (and would have done) was downloading of Linux Distros and latest MP3's. For that even a 10 GB limit will be too limiting.

So for a non-IT/non-Tech-savvy person, I guess usage will be even less then 300 MB. For this 300 rs per month (199 + 80 + taxes) seems to be okay, though 150 Rs would be more realistic (Cell service costs more then Broadband for BSNL, have a look at their tenders for Bandwidth + Backend equipment and tenders for cell equipment).

So if they can give cell connections for 150, broadband connection should be even cheaper.

I am sure some BSNL myopic ill-bred fool grubbing in the dirt and slime of ignorance will come out with a cheap Rs. 10 broadband plan similar to the Hutch ad that one sees on TV, for all those non-IT/non-Tech-savvy/stone age hunter gatherer kinds.... people who check their mails once a week and nothing more. And there are quite a few of those i suppose! 🙄

Some of us like to do more than just download distros. I used to run a server but I never had the bandwidth to really make something good. I have a better uptime than my ISP! Even today, I download GBs in a month on my 64K line and my router is on like 24x7 🙂

Umm...well, really the costs should be like this: 256K/512K/1024K for 200/300/400 bucks a month. Totally unlimited, no data, no port caps and a public IP 🙂

Dreams do not vanish, so long as people do not abandon them. --Phantom F. HarlockEDIT:New avatar.......no offense, all in good humour.

Seems like the airtel linesmen/engineers were not lying afterall.....hopefully next month we would also join the party. i feel vindicated....for now.

>>I am pretty sure BSNL will come up with Rs. 10, 50, and 100 plans soon. They are capable of it. When they can come up with 2AM downloads, anything is possible.If the press release can be believed without the launch date then BSNL and Reliance and Tata are dead in TN.