Getting a new connection at Mahim, Mumbai...

• Thread starter Thread starter aalaap
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 32
  • Views Views 9,951
good to hear that your work is "almost" donei had applied for mtnl a couple of years back & it took them 6 months to provide me with the connection, which i refused then.i'm planning to apply again tomorrow, hopefully it wont be so long nowby the way, the Linksys WAG200G router which you quoted as rs. 4400 is less than 3300. so checkout your prices.

Still no ADSL signal on my modem... the guy keeps doing some wiring stuff at different points - in the box outside my house, at those mtnl "cupboards" near the area on the street and other places - but there is still no signal!! it's as dead as a mobile phone at the bottom of the sea!😕

Looks like MTNL seems to believe that 'waiting makes the heart grow fonder' 😛. I have a suspicion that your a/c at the server end has not been made yet, that's why that error.

BTW I have seen 'Yadav' in action & he can try to shove any plug into any socket, (no puns intended) so be careful that he does not 'short' your equipment. 🙂

i went to book a new connection at andheri (e) wilson exchange and this was my experience:

i go to the triband booking counter at about 2:30 p.m., the babu is sleeping
i wake him up & give the form.

the form says DSL NU 849.
he tries to find the plan but is unable to find it on the comp. after about 3-4 min says i found it.
takes a print out. the print out says DSL NU 590.

now the best part starts....

i tell him i want NU 849 & u have given me NU 590
he says this is our code. u wont understand. this is plan NU 849 only. then a lady comes next to him & says thats correct :wall:

then i ask him how many days will it take.
he says, "soon"
i ask again "give me some idea. a week, two weeks or a month?"
he says "hafta lag sakta hai................ do hafta lag sakta hai................. shayad mahina bhi lag jaye....." (can take a week...............perhaps two weeks...............can also be a month)

gosh!!! i hope they give me the connection soon.

for now i'm sticking to NU 590. lets see if i can get 2 mbps for this rate. luck by chance😗

Show that F..... the printout of their tariff page to familiarize him about what his company is offering. Also write to the ED about your experience, many butts may kicked & you might get your connection v quickly 🙂. And by 'hafta lag sakta hai................ do hafta lag sakta hai' I hope he meant a week not the desi variety.

lol

okay update -- now im getting the adsl signal... the led is lighting up and flickering and all that... but still there's no internet because it's not been configged. i called the guy and he said he'd come and config it, but he didn't turn up today. so it's either tomorrow, or i guess monday since tom is a saturday...

😕

so i'm wondering... is there a standard issue configuration to be performed with the modem/router? i believe the variables are only going to be my phone number (if i have to use that anywhere as a login or password). i.e. can i config the line on my own and not count jap till the famed mr. yadav decides to grace my place with his final presence...?

:cool2:

U can try your hand at it, some entries are same like Username (Your Tel No) & your Password (your CA number, Customer Identification number). This available on your tel bill. VPI should be 0 (zero) and VCI as 32 & the user guide is available Technical Details which give the setting up. Best of luck. Even if you screwup you can always reset the modem & wait for them 😗😀

heh.. awesome.. yes, i was looking for something like this.killer stuff. thanks!but im going out tonight so i'll only be able to try these stunts once i get back which is probably 4amzzz 😕

There is definetely no rental for the modem on unlimited plans as my bill this month did not charge me a rental after my change of plan

@drmulchandani that's good to hear!

@socrates i'm gonna try to config this thing now.. i slept after i got back home last.. this morning

:thumb:

---------- Post added at 12:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:13 PM ----------

It's on!!!!!!!!!! And it's faaaaaast!!

---------- Post added at 01:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 PM ----------

Just posted this in another relevant thread, but I think I should also post it here.

FYI: I did not go via the normal wired LAN configuration method. I turned on the router. Connected to the WiFi network directly. Went into the admin area and configged the thing. Voila, WiFi + Internet is up!

The connection is working fine, but only on one PC - this Windows 7 PC that I used to config the router. My iMac is my primary machine and the other frequently used machine is my mom's laptop. While both of them can see and get onto the wifi network, they are unable to access the internet (there's no globe icon over the network icon).

Vista on the iMac (yeah) gets on the WiFi. When I tried to diagnose and repair connection, it said there's nothing wrong with it. WTF! I have no internet! That's what's wrong with it!

Is there any setting in the admin thing to enable more than one machine to access the internet?

😕

---------- Post added at 01:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 PM ----------

Okay.. non-issue.. got this working.

Restarted the router once. Turned off the Netgear (Hathway) router. iMac connected, Win7 PC connected, PS3 connected and so is the XP laptop.

I must point out that I had to switch from "Use Windows to manage my wireless connection" to the third-party mode on the Win7 PC and the laptop (both use Netgear wireless devices - WG111 and WG311 respectively). I had to use the Netgear Smart Wizard thingie to find and connect to the network, after which everything is happy happy joy joy.

Thank you all for your help, especially @socrates !!

😀

:beer:

Do I have to go to register.mtnl.net.in for anything? I don't have any username/password or any document at all for that matter....:huh:

To login first time, User name is your tel no. & paswd id CA no. It might be mentioned in your modem user guide, if not then go to Technical Details -> Users Guide for D-Link Modem (PDF). This one contains the details 🙂. Its best to change the passwords, both have to have the same paswd. First change in the website then on the modem. You can check your DL usage here.

@socrates this didn't work. I keyed in my phone number and CA number but it says my phone number is incorrect, which doesn't make any sense...