General doubt on bridge mode with archer c6

• Thread starter Thread starter Supra
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 11
  • Views Views 4,355
ISP
Bsnl ftth
Hi i am noob at this stuff would highly appreciate any help
I am using Netlink hg323 ont , recently upgraded from 50mpbs to 200mpbs fibre premium plan .The problem is im only getting 50mbps speeds in wifi.so after checking various threads this problem can be solved by buying TP-Link archer c6 so have ordered one.
1.I dont know what will happen to the ont after bridging it , like if i should use the router only for wifi or if i can connect my pc also to the router?
2.i am having nat issue also , been having strict nat in all games like gta online , warzone , for honor.so will i be able to portforward using the rourter settings?

Hi,

You need to set the Ont in Bridge mode and connect the ONT to your C6 Archer with LAN Cable.
1. While connecting please make sure in C6 Archer you are connecting the Lan Cable to WAN port.
2. Configure C6 Archer via PPPoE mode and enter the BSNL user and password.
3. All required options of NAT, UPnP you can manage via C6 Archer router.

Thanks so much for replying , i will try once the router arrives and update you brother , if u dont mind i have one more doubt
1.so i can use both wifi and lan ports of archer c6 right , so the ont will not be used for anything?

The VLAN id also had to be configured in my case. (Does all bsnl ftth configs have it? 🤔)

1. Go to the menu item as in Opening.... Advanced / network / iptv vlan

2. Enable vlan, click on mode and change it to custom.

3. Enter your vlan id and check the 802 tag.

My ONT from BSNL is in PPOE mode and dials to the internet. From the Gigabit port, I have connected to TP-Link Archer C6 router, and my router started giving internet access both through wifi and LAN. Then I simply changed the SSID (different for 2.4 and 5 GHz) and password. My ONT is still in PPOE mode, and both ONT and TP-Link Router are functioning quite well. So I want to ask that what is the advantage of using the ONT in bridge mode? Any difference in quality of internet?

The ONT's are generally not that efficient in routing mainly .
You can face packet drops , ping loss , buffering when multiple devices connect due to the bottle neck of the ONT . To say generally ONT routing is not equipped or capable to handle load .
Every device must have its own individual work rather than stuffing Optical part , Routing and Wifi into one machine . PPPoE mode does exactly that. The ONT just passes all traffic to router without doing anything acting as Media converter from Optical to Ethernet

Your TP-Link router I suppose is in AP mode which is fine for Internet but doesn't give functionality of DHCP Address serving , Domain blocking , Firewall(if present) , Parental Control , NAS functionality ,etc which is only available in Router mode

You wont notice any performance issues when you have only 3 or 4 devices .

Last edited: