General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 68
  • Views Views 9,462
Looks like only Xenforo and IPB are offering solutions for GDPR. Phpbb's stand seems to be that it is not applicable to us. SMF is taking a similar stand. Users have taken upon themselves to offer addons for complying with GDPR for both softwares. This is why one shouldn't use a free forum software. lol

How Invision Community's tools can help with GDPR compliance

And vbulletin doesn't seem to give a damn. Only 1 discussion thread and only thing they managed to clarify that if ever we add the functionality, it will be done only on v5 of the product since v4 is not under development anymore. No developer has come forward with an extension either. lol

xenforo does not seem to provide a way for user to get his own content in a downloadable format. only personal data that can be exported and imported. wordpress seems to be.
xenforo also is not providing any tool to delete all data posted by the user when his account is deleted.
and when a user name is changed (on deletion or manually), the name is also not changed from quotes and mentions.

i mean a user here on a forum with 5000 posts... can legally ask me to delete all his content (and/or ask me to provide a copy for it)... kind of insane. but i can imagine why a user should have that right.

from the looks of it, forums and other web services that do not cater to european audiences need to find a way to just tell european users to fuck off. please do not create an account here if you are from EU. leave us the hassle. you are welcome to access the content we already have after reading our privacy and cookie policy. but your content is not welcome here lol.

i wonder if the india's data protection law would bring in similar requirements to user contribution based services.

Reactions: Smh