Gaim - Pidgin - Empathy - Adium - Digsby - Trillian - Miranda IM

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 129
  • Views Views 29,955
i see that they have added support for yahoo buzz feature 😀 (the BUZZING alert sent to your friends).

one problem i face right now. blinking of tabs in the windows taskbar is not working. so i am not getting visual alerts on new messages.

had to turn on one of the plugins that show the number of unread messages in the tab. not sure if this is a bug or a setting problem on my machine.

i have checked the preferences. everything is in order!

---------- Post added at 06:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:46 PM ----------

can any windows user here confirm if the regular installer of pidgin worked fine?

Buzz was already there, they have just added frontend.

earlier to buzz, u just had to type /buzz

overall from last 4-5 releases = abt a year they are just making changes to frontend or fixing bugs. they havent added a single new worthy feature

haha true. this version too mostly comes with protocol fixes. but it still is much better than using miranda or trillian which have rather funky UIs for my taste. it works fine for my needs. 🙂

yep pidgin is only good thing yet.. on linux.. i think kopete (KDE) is good...but never used it.for MSN i use aMSN

on ubuntu 10.04 i really could not get myself to like empathy. it is integrated with the user interface. pidgin does not get integrated with the unified field in the task bar on ubuntu.

empathy is like an instant messaging program from the 1990s. too basic. even though it is supposed to support more things compared to pidgin.

---------- Post added at 07:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 PM ----------

alright GTK+ is a problem indeed.

#11833 (GTK can't be loaded via internet on Installation time 2.7.0)
#11832 (Error downloading GTK+ runtime while installing 2.7.0)

Pidgin 2.7.1 released

---------- Post added at 12:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 AM ----------

it fixes the problem i was facing. the taskbar icon was not blinking on new messages. it does now. i had to enable one of the plugins to make it work before.

They added new feature of direct file transfer for MSN. For me this was one of the long pending task and they presented it in such a way that it was huge achievement.I know they are not free and they are doing all this for free. But most of the features they release are only done when they themselves need it. Its not like other projects. Pidgin is very popular project, so big that developers shud actually CARE for it.

hehe. what about the forks... how well are they progressing : )

---------- Post added at 09:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 AM ----------

just checked fun pidgin. nothing has been done since 2008 from what i see on their blog. 😀

For Yahoo messenger - gyachi is best - it supports webcam too
But gyachi frontend is bit odd and weird.

For MSN messenger - aMSN is best - it used to support webcam but no longer because MSN changed the protocol

Kopete shud be good but I dont use it that much as it has less features.

Unfortunately Pidgin is overall better, a sad truth! 🙁

---------- Post added at 09:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 AM ----------

Yes Fun pidgin stopped development because the features it aimed at were implemented in original Pidgin later on. So there was not much point in maintaining two separate forks of same thing.

well they could have been the Go-oo to the OpenOffice. I am currently using Go-oo instead of OpenOffice on my machine and I like it slightly better than OOO!

Oh, I didnt know abt Go-oo at all.But I guess now that Sun is overtaken by Oracle, we can except that Oracle MAY accept patches from community.

when i was reading about gooo i found out that most linux distributions are actually using gooo builds rather than official builds!

i have no trust in oracle. they are a company with the sole aim of making money. 😀 they do not like the free model at all.

---------- Post added at 09:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 AM ----------

here is one thread on their decisions 😀

Oracle start charging for Suns Office ODF plug-in

Umm, openoffice is under GPL license.Whatever is under GPL shud legally continue to be free, because GPL license makes sure that derivatives of the product remain under GPL as well.So unless Oracle finds a way around. It shud not be a problem. Finding a way around is tough because GPL has won several lawsuits which means GPL is recognized well by many countries.ODF plugin was not under GPL so they decided to charge it.

well the problem is most of the development on OOO was being done by Sun developers from what i have read. if oracle stops the development work, there is little chance of someone else carrying forward the good work. but they are unlikely to. OOO is the only hope against the domination of MS Office on the desktop. there are enough cloud based challengers.