Future of Wired Broadband

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 10390
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10
  • Views Views 1,870
D

Deleted member 10390

What do you think is the future of wired broadband ? I guess it may last for a few more years as a non premium, cheap service while wireless BB takes the crown. Thoughts..

I dont see wireless replacing professional usage, i.e. companies or people with businesses depending on the internet to function. Mostly people on the move and casual users may move to wireless completely.

That's what we thought about mobile devices in the beginning. I know many who started and use internet just on tablet or mobile.

Well, thing is, for professional users, reliability would be the premier requirement & I dont see ourselves reaching a highly reliable wireless environment yet.

The masses decide, isn't it ? I did guess that wired is to stay. But wireless may grab all the attention in coming days. No one uses land line for calls and who would have predicted that sometime back ?

Well, it was not unexpected. An uncle of mine returned from Malaysia in mid-90s after spending a year working there & he was saying landline was only used in offices to use internally or as professional contact number for the company. Very few individuals actually had landlines & all carried mobiles. I remember thinking if India will actually end up the same way in 15-20 years. It happened a bit faster, but yes it was not "unexpected" to me.

I see more people moving to landlines and a lot already have because of the growing congestion problem on mobile networks. Businesses needs reliability which comes with wired connectivity.

That said, most land lines are also kind of wireless, isn't ? I mean the likes of Tata Indicom and others.

BSNL/MTNL/Airtel probably has many many more. Airtel appears to be the preferred landline service provider in Gurgaon based on the numbers I see for local businesses (restaurant bookings and so on).

All the wireless in the world is connected via a physical medium as backhaul except satellite. You're unfamiliar with latency needs. Wired isn't going anywhere anytime soon.