Ftp Prob.

• Thread starter Thread starter Genius
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 16
  • Views Views 3,604

Genius

hi here i am using sify broadband, with different LAN ip and WAN ip . my LAN ip is static and WAN ip is assigned by sify when i login to internet service . i configured my PC to provide FTP connection , but my friends r not able to connect my PCthrough ftp by using my WAN IP as well as LAN IP. But i am able to connect to my friends PC through FTP using internet . although he is located so far away from me ( in different city) his isp is different from me . so how can i locate my PC over internet. my means my friends can connect to my PC using FTP or remote login . help me to find out my ftp address of my PC on internet .Ajit

i'm hoping that you're doing everything fine regarding running an FTP server and stuff...so one thing i'd like u to check is (if u're using WinXP)...go to network connection properties\advanced and "tick" on "Protect my computer...blah...blah"then click on "Settings..." and in the next window, under "Services" tab, tick on "FTP Server"...if you're doing everything else fine, this should solve your problem...let us know what do u find...enjoy!!!it's pretty exciting to have ur own FTP server running, at least for the first few days 😛

How did you determine your WAN ip??because AFAIK , SIFY doesnt give individual WAN ip address.

sify does.. go to www.whatismyip.com it shows internet ip assigned to you ( it changes everytime u logout and login again )

^^ Yep... that is true... and thats the ip u need for others outside your lan to connect to you...

QUOTE(power @ May 18 2006, 03:42 PM) [snapback]51640[/snapback]
sify does.. go to www.whatismyip.com it shows internet ip assigned to you ( it changes everytime u logout and login again )
[/b]

If you are in windows ..run this command at dos prompt ...."ipconfig¨ or in linux run "/sbin/ifconfig¨

Tell me the output... copy paste it here....

Or if you can analyse it , you will understand that you have typically a LAN ip address , and a loop back address ie 127.0.0.1....and a few more entries.

If you see the address at whatismyip.com in your ipconfig output , only then you are assigned a global ip address.

I run a ftp and http server from my home too.

Also if you know more people in your area (or same building), tell them to check their addresses at whatismyip.com ....most probably it will be same.

Actually what sify does is ...they have a Gateway on your Local network which has a global IP address and all the customers' machines connect to this Gateway ..as a gateway to the internet....like a NAT system. So the all the customers' machines look the same to external machines on the net.

@Genius..
So when your friend puts the IP address you see at whatismyip.com your local gateway encounters this request at port 80, but doesnt know which local machine to forward the requests on the LAN. Hence you cannot run a webserver/FTP with SIFY as far as I know.

😛 Sify gives you individual ip anytime u connect to internet and this ip is not shared by 2 persons at same time instead of ipconfig /all and /sbin/ifconfig .. host a simple web server on ur pc then go to whatismyip.com and then use any open proxy on web to access that ip via a web browser and lemme know what u see 😛 Sify gives u a internet ip transparently its like whatever packets comes to sify routers on dynamic ip provided to you it is sent to ur lan ip . So transparently they do give u a internet ip .

Ok...Tell me one thing.Do you have to enter default gateway IP address in your computer for sify to work??

well, it's very much possible to run FTP server on Sify...i've been doing it myself...that's why i said in my first post if you're doing everything correctly, then do that...but it seems the basics r not right here...

just go here and follow the step 1 and 2...and then what i said in my above post...u'll be able to run ur FTP server now...enjoy!!!

Hmm.. you dont seem to get it.You have said above that you need to specify the gateway address. Thats the method used to deliver internet to your computer.In other rmethods( eg. where PPPOE in used ), you do not have to specify the Gateway address etc, its auto negotiated at login. In SIFY login , there is no such thing taking place, it just authenticates user from your MAC address and enables communication to the net through the Gateway, no IP address is assigned to your machine in the process.Thats what I can explain at this point, if you still dont believe me go ahead and try setting up a server and report the success/failure here.BTW dont buy a static individual address from SIFY and do this , that is the way which I know works. Do it from normal Sify account.

well u really dont understand how sify is working here . You need to use it to expereince it
Thats what I can explain at this point, if you still dont believe me go ahead and try setting up a server and report the success/failure here.[/b]

Yes i have done it many times and i can still put a webserver and give u my address if u want and u can browse what i put 😛 . Its like sify indirectly assigns u a internet ip ( unlike local cto's who have one good connection and same ip is shared between all the lan computers through nat ) . We are just going out of topic here and spoiling the thread so stop arguing unless you go to someone who is using sify and do some r&d urself ( theories of how things work aren't always helpful ).

QUOTE(power @ May 19 2006, 02:57 PM) [snapback]51705[/snapback]
Yes i have done it many times and i can still put a webserver and give u my address[/b]

FTP works a bit differently then http. With http only one port (usually 80) needs to bo opened

For FTP to work, you will need to setup port forwarding for a bunch of ports (opening up just 21 wont work).

Which is the FTP server that you are using?

Sify recycles it's ips... so although you do get an individual ip u dont always get the same one. Thats just a cost saving procedure. Its not like u cant host a server on sify. I have done remote desktop... with external sify ips. So comps running sify r definitely visible to the outside world... ppl who have used torrentmatrix as a tracker on sify will know this too.

u r right netfreak but what i was saying that sify does give individual ip . Sify has blocked port 21 ( just checked at grc ) port 22,23,80 are open . Try hosting ftp server on port 22 or 23 or 80 and it should work .