Frustrated with Tata Indicom Customer Service

• Thread starter Thread starter ispuser
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 13
  • Views Views 7,579
Status
Not open for further replies.

ispuser

Hi,I have been using tata indicom for last 2 years now (prepaid) one. I am not sure what your experience has been, but mine has become a very frustrating one - off late.1. Customer service has degraded like no one's business. They keep promising you every day, that today for sure they'll fix the problem and nothing happens. Next day you call them up again and story repeats. I had a problem only 2 months back and it took them 10 days to fix it. I have another problem and it has been already 3 days now. God knows when they will be able to fix it.2. Connectivity: Has become unreliable. Many a times I don't see VSNL_BRAS_1 when I try to connect. Get 678 error#. Btw, I am a resident of thane.3. I am not able to connect multiple computers. I was told that they have some MetroE (sp?) kind of connection which is what I have. Therefore I am not able to connect a router. I have to change to DSL kind of connection for which I need to pay Rs. 1500 installation charges once again. Where do they publish all this stuff? Nowhere on their site I can see an option which says connection type of one / multiple computers. They are trying to take customers for a ride by first giving them connectivity which is not expandable in future.Anyone knows how to connect with senior folks in tata indicom? Every time I call them up, I can only reach supervisor of the person I am talking to.Help!

Yup. I have a prepaid connection as well and my experience has been pretty similar to yours. As for talking with people other than the annoying customer service drones on the phone, do you know the person who installed the connection at your place? It might be handy to have his telephone number. Also there may be a phone number on the receipt that you probably got when you first paid for your installation. Try calling that and see if they can help you or put you through to someone else. Alternatively , if you have the time, go to the nearest VSNL office and ask to speak to someone and see if they can help.

what exactly do you mean by "connecting multiple computers". How does TATA deliver the connection to your place? cat5? How are you trying to connect multiple computers?

Originally posted by max@Dec 1 2005, 04:08 PM
what exactly do you mean by "connecting multiple computers". How does TATA deliver the connection to your place? cat5? How are you trying to connect multiple computers?
[snapback]33793[/snapback]
[/quote]
I have a cable coming in my house with RJ45 type of connector which directly goes into lan card.

Hi,

I have been using tata indicom for last 2 years now (prepaid) one. I am not sure what your experience has been, but mine has become a very frustrating one - off late.

1. Customer service has degraded like no one's business. They keep promising you every day, that today for sure they'll fix the problem and nothing happens. Next day you call them up again and story repeats. I had a problem only 2 months back and it took them 10 days to fix it. I have another problem and it has been already 3 days now. God knows when they will be able to fix it.
Hi!
I have similar and even more problems !! since 2 months!! Too long for the forum, maybe.
Please see:
http://docel.blogspot.com/

Can any one suggest what to do ??

docel.
^Anything is possible....
After YOU proove it!!!

^^ Hi Doc!Man o man have you been suffering.. i must admit in chennai its much better...But i did have problems with the password too, and i had to call them up several times to reset it so i could set it back again..And one reason why i chose an unlimited plan was to avoid the hassle of payig over-charged bills...

Originally posted by ispuser@Dec 1 2005, 07:44 PM
I have a cable coming in my house with RJ45 type of connector which directly goes into lan card.
I fail to understand how the ISP is involved in sharing your net connection?!

The solution is, get a router (5 port would be fine or get a Wifi one). Just plugin your ISP's cable into the WAN socket (RJ45) and setup NAT and DHCP on the router. Connect all computers to the other ports of the router using cat5e cable. Configure them to use DHCP and your connection is shared! Ofcourse, if TATA requires you to authenticate (login) then you need to login from one of your computers before you can start using the net.

Originally posted by Vince@Dec 2 2005, 04:53 PM
^^ Hi Doc!

Man o man have you been suffering.. i must admit in chennai its much better...

But i did have problems with the password too, and i had to call them up several times to reset it so i could set it back again..

And one reason why i chose an unlimited plan was to avoid the hassle of payig over-charged bills...
[snapback]33868[/snapback]
[/quote]
Hello there!

I suddenly feel fortunate enough after reading through your problems 🙂

Btw, status update - DAY 5: Problem is still unresolved.

I called them one more time today (yes, I am patient - virtue which keeps growing if you are tata indicom customer). I was assigned an escalation call# and was promised 'sir! we will definately resolve your problem today. I promise! We are extremely sorry for inconvenience!!'

I made him also promise to call me at the EOD. End result is of course same - no calls received absolutely whatsoever from anyone and no one bothered to attend to call.

I am seriously thinking of switching to even MTNL. It can't get worse than this - right?

Thanks for sharing your problems, once again. My probs look lighter compared to yours.

Originally posted by ispuser@Dec 2 2005, 10:08 PM
Hello there!

I suddenly feel fortunate enough after reading through your problems 🙂...

..Thanks for sharing your problems, once again. My probs look lighter compared to yours.
[snapback]33923[/snapback]
[/quote]

hi guys!
Yeah, thanks for the replys. I'm so cheesed off i started a couple of BLOGS on this!
http://docel.blogspot.com/
http://docel-tataindicombroadband-deficien...2.html#comments

Please leave your comments there to help me spread the word and/trigger some real 'action' from these guys. I'm thinking of approaching the Consumer Forum in this regard too. If a group of us sue them for compensation, they might learn some lessons on CustomerCare!! DEFICIENT SERVICE!! and wonder why some one hasnt sued them till now!
http://www.advantageconsumer.com/query.htm

Can you beat this: The Bangalore tech support guys called VINAY at Whitefield and his Asst. gook in jayanagar Gangadhar have been sending ghost reports, " visited" "Connection OK" "Line through" " Close Complaint" reports to CustomerCare.
When I call CCare to find out status of my complaint, The Morons TELL ME THAT I HAVE NO PROBLEM since their Tech. sup. Field engineer HAS visited and set right the problem!!!!

docel, please start a new thread regarding your problems. But from what I read on your blog I too think you should approach the consumer court. Infact a better idea would be to approach "Aapki Awaaz". It's a programme by Awaaz news channel (affiliated to CNBC-TV18). They will question the relevant authorities on your behalf and will air your greviance on TV. TATA will have to sit up and take notice of your problems...

Hi Max,
Thanks for the advise and have explored the AAWAZ angle. Please, my apologies: didnt mean to distract the thread. That was thoughtless of me indeed.
I have posted the copy to TV18, will PM you of the results.
Thanks again for being with me and regards.
docel/docelradio@eth.net

Last edited by a moderator:
no problem buddy. We are here to support unsatisfied customers because I am one myself! 🙂

Hi Dudes,

Day 7 : EOD

Status Update: Finally – I have the connection working. Engineer did visit and guess what he did. Instead of using Dialer way of connecting to Tata Indicom using PPPoE, he has asked me to connect using web dialer (URL : http://loginmum.tataindicombroadband.in:8080/home?t=egv0tiaq ) Apparently, they have made some changes at their system’s end (in my area only?) and have done this switch over for all users.

What makes me mad is – something as simple as this could have been told to me 7 days back when I reported the call by their call center people. Tells me they are totally illiterate as far computer know-how goes and/or they don’t know about initiatives being rolled out by their tech team .

This way of connecting bothers me – since earlier I used to be able to see little icon at the right hand side bottom which would tell me – I am connected. I would simply double click it and click on disconnect. Now, I need to visit the same page (mentioned above) and click on ‘Log Out’… there’s no way of knowing if I am already connected or not. Are any of you using this method of connecting? What are pros and cons.

As far as Consumer court thing goes, I myself explored it a bit myself … spoke to lawyer. If you have time, it is pretty easy to do I am told. However, we need sufficient proof that we faced problems and informed Tata Indicom about it. So, you need to make sure, you have a registered complaint to Tata Indicom about your problems. I am not sure, if an email complaint would suffice in court. All you need to do is take this proof to consumer court, get a form which is easy to fill and costs almost nothing. Court will then send summons to company and yourself and case will be heard. You can do this yourself or have a lawyer do it for you – but of course this will cost a bit more. The whole thing will be over within a month's time frame - as I understand.

I have definitely decided to switch to airtel as when it becomes available in thane.

Till then, have to learn art of being patient while living under the Tata Umbrella and hating it all the while.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
This is what I always say. It's not the company thats bad. Its the CC, Linesmen and other fools which give the company a bad name. IMHO you should approach the Consumer Court if you have a big splat with them. But I would rather approach "Pardafarsh" on AWAAZ first. Then I would go to court. I had a similar incident with my ISP. But I got it solved after making a couple of calls to the top dogs 😉. BTW whenever you register a complaint with them ask them for a Reference No!

Status
Not open for further replies.