Frequently going offline with SAM 300 AX ADSL2 modem

• Thread starter Thread starter snrm
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10
  • Views Views 5,406

snrm

ISP
MTNL
I am using Sterlite SAM 300 AX adsl2 modem with MTNL DSL_UNLTD_1599 Plan with 1.33 Mbps speed. Recently I am facing a problem of very low speeds, but more importantly, of frequent disconnections. Every so often, the connection goes offline, although I am able to ping the router. On opening the router page, the status shows the the IP address, sub mask and the default gateway as 0.0.0.0. If I save the internet connection page then it usually gets resolved and the status page shows the correct IP settings and I am online again. This definitely happens when I try to connect first thing in the morning and then intermittently during the day. The router is connected to a switch on my network, and there is a parallel connection to the triband line in my cabin. But this problem has recently started. The MTNL linesman has tried his best to resolve the situation at his end, but the problem persists at the router level. It seems that the router does not save the settings.Any ideas? Is it the modem? Should I get a new router/ different model? Say, D-Link. I used to use a Dlink, and this problem never occurred. The MTNL recently replaced it with this model.

what are your line SNR & attenuation values? If those are normal then get a new / different modem from mtnl

As of now it is working and the readings are : Downstream UpstreamSNR Margin: 23.4 11.7 dbLine Attenuation: 18.0 9.9 dbData Rate: 2047 509 kbps Do you want the readings when its offline?

Select GDMT in Mod mode menu SAVE
Go to Management and select
RESTART from current settings.
( other option Factory settings . Ignore )
Slider will show saving settings.
This model appears to be widely used in MTNL.

Check speed here : Only download.
Optus Speed Test (600 KB) - Oz Broadband Speed Test
compare here :
My Broadband Speed - Broadband Speed Tester

for ref similar unit:
Beetel 110TCI configure 1. : MODEMS & ROUTERS - My Broadband Forum - Broadband Discussion forum

^ i noticed that disconnections are less in adsl2 mode than gmt even if it reduces the SNR , i had line problem few months back & was only able to get stable connection with adsl2 mode , with gmt it would keep getting disconnected

Currently I have 'Auto Sync-up' in ADSL Mode, and ANNEX A/I/J/L/M.

The other options in the ADSL Mode are ADSL2+, ADSL2, G.DMT, T1.413 and G.lite.

So essbebe, u suggest I should keep it on G.DMT and that will solve my frequent disconnections? And what about speed?

xyz2000, u suggest I should change it to ADSL2+ or ADSL2? Or leave it as Auto Sync-UP? And will that also solve my speed problems?

Thx

----------

With G.DMT its even worse. My results are:

Optus: ((Oz Broadband Speed Test - Results #18286547)
Test run on 20/10/2011 @ 07:17 PM
Mirror: Optus
Data: 600 KB
Test Time: 193.03 secs

Your line speed is 25 kbps (0.03 Mbps).
Your download speed is 3 KB/s (0 MB/s).

And for My Broadband Speed Test
http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/results/122542371.png
D/l Speed = 108 kbps (13.5 kB/s)
U/L Speed = 69 kbps (8.63 kB/s)

I think I am switching to adsl2+ and try it out.

Thx

Speed problems can only be solved at the isp end , modem has got nothing to do with it, auto sync will connect you automatically with Adsl2+ & is the best option , Gdmt is only used when you are getting very low SNR with adsl2+ which you arent

(1)
You have reported that MTNL has replaced D-Link modem with this sterlite model.
Confirm which model you were using. ( with number ) (DSL502T?)
(2)
Gdmt is preferred for low speeds upto 2 Mbps for a stable sync .
Mode: G.DMT Beetel 110BXI Home750 u/l of BSNL Beetel 110BXI
Type: Interleave
Line Coding: Trellis On
Link Power State: L0

Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin (dB): 32.4 24.0
Attenuation (dB): 15.0 9.5
Output Power (dBm): 9.6 17.1
Attainable Rate (Kbps): 11776 1280
Rate (Kbps): 2048 512

(3)
Download tcp/ip optimizer from speedguide.net
and select default or optimal values.

feedback.

Dear essbebeYes, The prev modem was D-Link DSL502T.Will try the optimiser for speed.Again, this morning, the modem was offline and I had to save the Internet Settings page.Thx