Frequent Disconnections

• Thread starter Thread starter Surfer
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 22
  • Views Views 5,488

Surfer

ISP
MTNL 590 NU
HI I am facing frequent disconnections since the last week ... the connection does not stay on for more than 10 minutes at a time .. I think it could be due to a noisy line , since it was working fine a few days back ..I am attaching my ADSL status .. if someone could take a look and tell me whether i have got a bad line ... i really want to make sure before i contact the linesman ... do you think resetting the modem(from the pin at the back) and then entering the settings again would help. Downstream UPstream UnitSNR MARGIN 16 12 dBLine Attentuation 29 23 dBData Rate 256 256 kbps

Try implementing bridge mode without DHCP server/LAN.

hmm ... ok panther will try that .... just one doubt ... i use my triband from my laptop as well as my pc i.e just remove the network cable from the pc and attach it to the laptop .. what i wanted to know was say if i use my laptop to change the mode to bridge will the settings change if i try to access the net from my pc .. or will my pc show the same old pppoe option ... had this doubt because once i did some portforwarding through my laptop and the changes were not reflected from my pc ...

When u change the mode to bridge u are changing it in the router . There are 2 steps in implementing bridge mode :1. Make changes to router settings via its web interface and save in router itself.2. Make a dialer to connect using ur password and username in the client PC/laptop connected to router.Hence if u use laptop to change to bridge mode there is no dialer app. on ur PC so when u go back to PC how will it connect as bridge mode in router does not have password and username fed into it

i have changed my connection to bridge mode as panther suggested ... i am using the raspppoe dialer and have set the dialer to reconnect in case the line drops ... now the probelm is that when i am downloading through utorrent and the connection drops , the dialer reconnects but utorrent does not seem to start the downloading again till i stop and start the download manually ... has anybody faced this problem ??.... is there a way for utorrent to start downloading when the line reconnects ...Also low SNR value indicates a noisy line right ? ... i have seen SNR values as low as 3 in my ADSL/Status ..

remove if any parallel telephone connection is working before splitter....

that part is ok .. my main phone line goes straight into the POTS splitter and then accordingly one line goes to the modem and one line goes into the phone ... it has to be a noisy line .. cannot think of any other reason ... unless there something wrong with the modem itself .....

QUOTE(Surfer @ Jul 31 2006, 12:04 PM) [snapback]57101[/snapback]
Also low SNR value indicates a noisy line right ? ... i have seen SNR values as low as 3 in my ADSL/Status ..
[/b]

THat is definitely a problem. For a proper connection u need minimum SNR of 6

Strip off the wires and join them again wherever there are joints in the line in the house.

Complain to MTNL that there is "earth" in the line and they shld be able to fix any loose connections from ur home to the exchange.

ok ... thanks ... actually i had already logged a complaint twice but all they say is its because of the rains ...and there is no audible disturbance when i am talking on the phone, indicating a noisy line .. is this normal ..?.. and come to think of it .. this problem is intermittent .. i have seen cases where the SNR has dropped to 3 and the router disconnects , connects again and i get a SNR of around 31 , and the SNR startsdropping again ....

U should check the line immediately at at the time when the router SNR drops..i guess u will hear some disturbance..even if u dont the fact that SNR drops is ample evidence that the line is noisy

my connection also keeps disconnecting..started happening during rainy season i guess.. but if i keep my telephone engaged the connection stays stable. try if that works for you.

^^ I dont believe someone else also discovered that trick !!this leads me to believe that it shud b some line quality problems that v r facing..

logged a complaint with the exchange and they promised me to have a look at the line ..also i have greased my local phonewalla palm to replace my entire phone wiring ...lets see if this improves the connection ...one more thing ... i have switched back to pppoe hoping that the azureus/utorrent will resume the download after the line drops ... but the download is not resumed ... the seeds and peers all goto 0 and the smiley goes to red and the download stops altogether ...haven't had a bloody full nights download as yet all my free night time is going down the drain ....will appreciate any help in this matter ....

My disconnection problem got solved after the linesman changed the telephone wires which were eaten by rats. No more disconnections 🙂

problem is our telephone wiring is internal in our building .. i dont know how the linesman will correct it ... btw where was ur problem exactly ... was it in the wiring in ur building ?