Frequent disconnections - ADSL ON, ADSL OFF

• Thread starter Thread starter sulionline
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 9
  • Views Views 3,217

sulionline

ISP
MTNL
Hi friends, After searching the net regarding a problem that I am having I found this site and noticed several users have experienced a similar problem with thread titles similar to mine. My transfer rates are good, however, the adsl line goes off for approx 10-15 seconds and then comes back on. For some reason I also feel that when I use my MTNL land line a similar problem occurs. Only difference is the adsl light goes of for longer. I don't know if its a coincidence to the same problem as above or is it a new problem. The linesman had come to check this problem and first he said it was the excahnge problem, then he said it was the modem problem and the broadband engineer came and replaced the modem, then he said that I am having an earthing problem, like this his suggestions went on but my problem is still not solved. I have gone through all the other threads regarding this problem in an attempt to solve my problem but I have noticed that each case is unique and that some of my connection data such as SRN, attentuation etc needs to be diagnosed. If the experts can please guide me where to find this information (I have a screen capture software so I can capture it) and advise me on the best way to go about solving my problem I will be highly obliged. suli

Can you tell us which router model you are using? Next
Is the tel wire coming into your home going first to your router then thru the splitter to your phone instrument.
(I am guessing that it is, as the linesman has already come to your home). Since you suspect that the disconnection happens when you use the tel.
Try calling to your land line no. (thru say your cell phone) when your net connection is on & see what happens.
Do the same & pick up the landline instrument and see what happens. Do this many times to be completely sure.
I suspect that it’s a line problem & the linesman could well be passing the buck but again he might not be. If it’s a ‘earthing problem’, it’s the linesman who has to sort it out. I suggest that you personally meet the div engineer for your area & explain your problem to him. Usually they are more receptive when you approach them personally.
Best of luck.

Hi Socrates. Thank you for replying.
I am using a MT-882 modem. My line is split through a router. When I call the landline nothing happens. But when I pick up the phone the adsl goes off and the internet dies.
I will do as you suggest and call the division engineer.
The lines man is quite a joke. He is this really old man who thinks he can make a few rupees everytime he comes (all he gets is some nimbu pani and my angry tone of voice :redface🙂 I wish MTNL would higher some young blood who would take the job with sincerity and respect.
Most of their field workers are so old they belong in a retirement home and its obvious that they hate their jobs, they probably hate their life as well.

Socrates, if you, or anyone else can understand my problem, do advise me what I can say to the division engineer to make my case stronger. If anyone has had this problem and had it solved please do let me know. I will be indebted for eternity (or until I repay the favor)

What Is My IP Address? - Lookup IP, Hide IP, Change IP, Trace IP and more...
Check your Dynamic IP whenever there is a disconnection/reconnection.
My line is split through a router.[/quote. Presume you mean ADSL splitter.
Ensure ALL your phones connected AFTER the ADSL splitter Phone Port.
If It is not possible due to internal wiring Use addition ADSL Splitter for EACH telephone line.
MT882 will disconnect. You can check http://192.168.1.1/hwhtml/pMain.html
Summary page. for SNR ATTN MOD line speed etc.
For ref see Huawei MT882 Summary page on left
http://i15.tinypic.com/8ggf5dw.jpg
(*Connection ICON will be red, and you have to click the "NOTE" to reconnect. may not apply if you are using DIALER )
OR check the Diagnostics Page.

I am using a MT-882 modem. My line is split through a router. When I call the landline nothing happens. But when I pick up the phone the adsl goes off and the internet dies.

From this I presume the splitter is inbuilt in the modem. But you have not mentioned if the tel line comes first to your modem (It should) . Try the suggestion mentioned of adding a splitter. I still think its a line problem as I faced this in the past when my connection was new & the line then did not come first to my modem/splitter.

No i was having a MT882 earlier & i still had a splitter & generally i don't think the splitter is missing because from the mainline there has to be two connection if the phone & modem/router are both connected at the same time & for this to happen a splitter should be in place unless they have done it manually(u know by opening the copper part of the cable of the mainline & then connecting it in 2 more wires - one of them going to the modem/router & the other to the phone)...
Below is an example of a splitter:

Note that the input(mainline) is on the other end, hence not visible & the two RJ11 sockets you see are for the phone & modem/router respectively.

There are few things that we need to keep in mind when we are using a splitter(also known as a 'FILTER', which is infact the correct term because it filters the adsl from the rest of the noise):

1) The phone would work irrespective of whichever socket it is connected to from the splitter but the modem/router would pick up internet only when it is connected to the socket named 'ADSL', you may not find 'modem' aswell instead of 'ADSL' depending on the splitter u have & 'Phone' or 'Line' for the socket which should be used for phone.

2) Ensure that the mainline from the mtnl pole is coming directly into the splitter, meaning: you should not have any devices such as phones, fax connected to the mainline directly before it goes into the splitter(this is incase you have more than one phone).

Now if you have the above device splitting your connection, then you should now be looking at the SNR & other values in the modem/router page, u can find this info at page: http://192.168.1.1/hwhtml/pMain.html as specified by @essbebe
Just feel free to post the SNR, auttn, mod etc values displayed on your modem/router page & we shall help u in figuring out as to what might have gone wrong 🙂
Usually the connectivity/speeds would be good if the SNR(Signal noise ratio) is above 20. out as to what might have gone wrong 🙂

From this I presume the splitter is inbuilt in the modem. But you have not mentioned if the tel line comes first to your modem (It should) . Try the suggestion mentioned of adding a splitter. I still think its a line problem as I faced this in the past when my connection was new & the line then did not come first to my modem/splitter.

Hi socrates, i do have a separate splitter. the telephone line from the exchange is connected to the line in, in the splitter. the modem is connected to the adsl port on the other end, and my landline is connected to the line out.
the lines man are coming again today. hopefully all goes well.
are you saying that modem should be connected to line in on the splitter? i do not understand. can you please re-explain. sorry.

No i was having a MT882 earlier & i still had a splitter & generally i don't think the splitter is missing because from the mainline there has to be two connection if the phone & modem/router are both connected at the same time & for this to happen a splitter should be in place unless they have done it manually(u know by opening the copper part of the cable of the mainline & then connecting it in 2 more wires - one of them going to the modem/router & the other to the phone)...
Below is an example of a splitter, note that the input(mainline) is on the other end, hence not visible & the two RJ11 sockets you see are for the phone & modem/router respectively :

Now if you have the above device splitting your connection, then you should now be looking at the SNR & other values in the modem/router page, u can find this info at page: http://192.168.1.1/hwhtml/pMain.html as specified by @essbebe
Just feel free to post the SNR, auttn, mod etc values displayed on your modem/router page & we shall help u in figuring out as to what might have gone wrong 🙂

hi madhusudhan. thank u for helping. i do have a splitter going as i mentioned in my reply to socrates. i tried opening the line but it says page not found. when i type only the i.p address it opens up the following page.
http://www.2shared.com/file/3803351/ecd072b3/page.html
please tell me where to go from here and if i am even on the right track.
by the way do you understand what socrates means when he says
"But you have not mentioned if the tel line comes first to your modem (It should)"

cheers

Note that the input(mainline) is on the other end, hence not visible & the two RJ11 sockets you see are for the phone & modem/router respectively.

There are few things that we need to keep in mind when we are using a splitter(also known as a 'FILTER', which is infact the correct term because it filters the adsl from the rest of the noise):

1) The phone would work irrespective of whichever socket it is connected to from the splitter but the modem/router would pick up internet only when it is connected to the socket named 'ADSL', you may not find 'modem' aswell instead of 'ADSL' depending on the splitter u have & 'Phone' or 'Line' for the socket which should be used for phone.

2) Ensure that the mainline from the mtnl pole is coming directly into the splitter, meaning: you should not have any devices such as phones, fax connected to the mainline directly before it goes into the splitter(this is incase you have more than one phone).

Usually the connectivity/speeds would be good if the SNR(Signal noise ratio) is above 20.

Hi socrates, i do have a separate splitter. the telephone line from the exchange is connected to the line in, in the splitter. the modem is connected to the adsl port on the other end, and my landline is connected to the line out.
the lines man are coming again today. hopefully all goes well.
are you saying that modem should be connected to line in on the splitter? i do not understand. can you please re-explain. sorry.

hi madhusudhan. thank u for helping. i do have a splitter going as i mentioned in my reply to socrates. i tried opening the line but it says page not found. when i type only the i.p address it opens up the following page.
2shared - download page.jpg
please tell me where to go from here and if i am even on the right track.
by the way do you understand what socrates means when he says
\"But you have not mentioned if the tel line comes first to your modem (It should)\"

cheers

That's not how a Hauwei MT882 router page looks, here how it looks: http://i15.tinypic.com/8ggf5dw.jpg
In the above picture, the page on the left hand side which says 'Hauwei' is how the MT882 router page looks, the one on the right hand side is probably images of one of the UT Starcom's WA3002 series router page.

Check the model of the router again....
& guys does any one of u recognize this router page: http://www.2shared.com/file/3803351/ecd072b3/page.html