• Thread starter Thread starter WAYWARD72
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 28
  • Views Views 17,193
@Nadir Aslam
A virus affecting a modem? I disagree.
@WAYWARD72:
The line stats are excellent!
When I had this problem years ago, it was because of a failing modem. If you faced the same problem with different modems, then it's something else. Maybe a loose contact with the wiring?
Admin used to have the same problem with sudden loss of connectivity. He contacted Airtel but I do not remember what the cause/outcome was.
@genie
Your modem might be failing. Just to be safe, I would start looking around for new modems.

Reloading the firmware seems to have solved the issue.

I'm having this problem too. Every half an hour or so the internet line gets disconnected, and then comes back up on it's own. It happens at the modem itself since i see that the internet light on the modem goes off. Any idea as to what to do?

All this started after I downgraded my plan.....maybe just a coincidence...or maybe not

The devil is back again in my modem. Grooooooooan ! I got to buy another modem....this is becoming too critical.

Finally the line went dead totally at noon yesterday. Soon a verbal battle with the Airtel Customer Support began after they refused to come to see what the problem was. Imagine...I live about 3km from their head office in Bangalore.
So I decided to investigate myself. There was a loose wire dangling at the dp but I did not have a punching tool so I waited a few more hours for their "engineers" to come. None visited but they kept making back calls every three hours giving some nonsensical cock and bull stories.
I pulled out the wires and rejoined them by hand....phone started working but old modem was still kaput. Bought a new modem and and configured....everything is connected fine. Total cost Rs 2200 + 20 minutes of work (not including the phone calls and many hours wasted waiting/talking to the morons)

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems the problem has been affecting a lot of ppl. I am still facing this same problem at both my office n home. Have tried to change the modem & router, but has had no impact. Airtel guys have also tried their best but have failed to find out why this is happening. Now they say they'll get the entire wiring changed.
@ WAYWARD72 : Were u able to rectify the problem?

Airtel replaces modem free of charge. At least they did it for me when my modem had a problem. And this was last year.What you can do is call the cust care again and complain abt modem not working and arrange for a tech visit. When the guy rings ur door bell replace ur new modem that u bought with the old one. Let him check ur modem and then replace it with a new one. Resell the one that u bought on ebay.

Well, according to the terms of my connection I am not eligible for a free modem because I bought it when I took the connection....if I had taken on rent then they would replace it for free. However you can try to get it replaced free but it will not be a new one and the replacement may also start malfunctioning. In fact before buying I tried with another unused Airtel provided modem which a tenant had but it was even worse than mine...it refused to hard reset and I was not even able to login to configure it....the other option was buy from Ebay preowned by hno3....LOL....
Just now called them to check if I can get a new replacement but they said only if it is still under warranty period otherwise we have to buy from outside. New connections they are giving free is plan is prepaid for 6 months, or you have to buy from outside. I asked where to get their brand modem and they gave contact details of Binatone dealer LOL Binatone Telecom

Last edited by a moderator:
@ WAYWARD72 : were you able to rectify the issue. I am still facing the problem of frequent disconnection of Airtel broadband. I changed my modem thrice but no use. Checked the cable network and it looks fine. Anyone please suggest what might be the problem of frequent disconnection of my Airtel broadband.

I got the same issue. The first Airtel guy told me that the backend infrastructure in Airtel is not good enough to handle the number of users. The 2nd one said its the modem problem - D-Link is taking different dns, but cannot answer why it did not do so for past 3 years. Fed up with this connection cuts !

frequent disconnections started again for me.

edit: this really sucks.....gone from bad to worse now..... 🙁

Last edited: