Frequent disconnection Airtel 4mbps DSL & Gigabit Lan

• Thread starter Thread starter WAYWARD72
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 28
  • Views Views 17,192

WAYWARD72

Hello forum,

I am having this problem for the past 6 months now, wherein the broadband disconnects for 5-10 minutes on its own accord. This happens irregularly and without any specified time period, sometimes every half an hour sometimes once in an hour. I have a D-Link DSL- 2520U ADSL 2+ router connected to a Dlink 8 Port - Gigabit Switch. We use this connection in our office and about 6-7pc's are connected to the wired gigabit network. My Linksys wireless G broadband router is also connected to the switch. I am enclosing a screenshots of the ping values both with the modem and airtel's server when this happens. When this happens the DSL and Internet light on the modem are both onstable in green color showing that the line is active and functional.

I have gotten airtel to check there backend repeatedly and they say that this is a problem at my end. Could it some malware which is acting up or any other configuration issue. After reading up on this problem i had tried disabling ADSL and ADSL 2+ and enabling G.dmt in my modem settings. After doing that speedtest showed that my download speed dropped to 1.5mbps from ~4mbps. I do not want to compromise on my speed for a more stable connection.

Please let me know if you need more information from my end to resolve this problem.

thanks!

Have you checked if wired clients also get disconnected? I assume the modem connects to the switch and the switch provides the internet connection to the wireless router?

Have you checked if wired clients also get disconnected? I assume the modem connects to the switch and the switch provides the internet connection to the wireless router?

Hi rsatbf!

thanks for the reply! We predominantly use the wired clients only. All the clients get disconnected, the LAN works perfectly but the connection to the internet dies. Once the wired go, obviously the wireless also goes.

Please post line stats from modem info page. Also, it looks like your switch is faulty. Try a different one, if possible.

I used to have this same problem with SifyAre they using a wireless connection from your building to their nearest hub ?If so, then even a slightest disturbance in the connection shuts down the service depending on the timer to recheck if the connection in available.The problem was solved by Sify by changing the direction of their antenna in our building so that there would no interferenceHope it helps

Ichaitanya, have posted the line stats in reply to x270's post. Cannot currently try a new switch (will have to check warranty et. all), the switch seems to work perfectly fine for the gigabit network though.

Falconeer will try that today evening post office hours!, though have tried it before but with mixed results. As in sometimes it works sometimes it does not.

Line seems perfect. Narrows it down to your switch or modem. Since you say, the switch is fine, I'd suspect rhe modem.

Line seems perfect. Narrows it down to your switch or modem. Since you say, the switch is fine, I'd suspect rhe modem.

The problem i think is not modem related because during the past 3 months i have tried 3 different modems. One Beetel one which i purchased from airtel in december, another which they temporarily gave as replacement, and the D-Link one which i am currently using (under warranty).

This looks like a Virus.I had the same problem earlier where the net would go off after every 10 minutes.Format your machines.

I am having this problem for the past 6 months now, wherein the broadband disconnects for 5-10 minutes on its own accord. This happens irregularly and without any specified time period, sometimes every half an hour sometimes once in an hour.
I am having similar problem from past couple weeks on 220BX1 modem . If I power off/on the modem it reconnects back but it comes back on its own too after couple of minutes of flickering.I tried to update the firmware today but keep getting the error message "Fatal error during image uploading". The modem reboots though but I am not sure if the firmware is updated.