Free Tool To Know Dataone Bandwidth Usage

• Thread starter Thread starter shaplus
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 79
  • Views Views 32,138

shaplus

ISP
BSNL Broadband
Since BSNL is not providing total Bandwidth usage in its website, currently it is very difficult to calculate Total Bandwidth usage from the log pages. I have tried using Bandwidth monitoring softwares but BSNL records are always higher than software records. (this is not afault of BSNL, some one told that metering software can show upto 10% difference)

I have created a small tool, that will logon to BSNL site and calculate total bandwidth. It also shows all your log pages in a single page.

Download it free from my site How to find Monthly Dataone bandwidth usage
Last Updated 04 apr 2008

Thanks for the lovely tool. Works fine.

DO you have source code? What if you're using it to steal passwords so you can use other people's downloads...

Originally posted by vishalrao@Aug 22 2005, 04:02 AM
DO you have source code? What if you're using it to steal passwords so you can use other people's downloads...
[snapback]22615[/snapback]
[/quote]

We notified regarding this software to National Internet Backbone & BSNL Delhi Office. Please do not use this software as of now...

www.IslamicWebSolutions.com

i do not even like the sound of that...

This was a tool I created for myself and I found that it saves lot of time for me. so I decided to share it with others.

DO you have source code? What if you're using it to steal passwords so you can use other people's downloads
[/b]
BTW, if you are skeptical about this software, you can use a firewall and allow this software to connect only to BSNL website.

We notified regarding this software to National Internet Backbone & BSNL Delhi Office. Please do not use this software as of now...
[/b]
Thanks for notifying. Maybe this will prompt them to provide a simple way for knowing the Bandwidth.

Shaplus ... If you want everyone to be benefited by the software, make it open source. That will remove all sorts of fears.

I dunno ...I know how sometimes good intentions get misunderstood ... but I guess its better to be on the safe side ...If you make it open source, that would be perfect for people ... but dealing with something like passwords and money matters, is always going to be a risky affair ...Besides, if people have any doubt, they shouldn't use the software ...

If you make it open source, that would be perfect for people ... but dealing with something like passwords and money matters, is always going to be a risky affair ...
[/b]

Well, for the Perl lovers among you, here's a small Perl script which finds out your usage for a particular month. This is especially useful if you use Linux, as only IE is allowed to connect to it.

You need a proper Perl environment and a few modules (LWP::UserAgent and HTTP::Cookies). You can also do this to get a manpage: perldoc dataone_usage

This script is GPLed. I'd like to know your experiences with this. I've tested it on a Gentoo Linux system.

The part which calculates the amount of free usage is not fully finished. Just be careful using it.

Arvind

PS: Due to a stupid "extension not allowed" error on this forum, I had to rename the script dataone_usage.txt.

I don't understand, what this has to do with my webhost, anyway.[/b]

Shafeek,

You are right. Your webhost (or religion) has absolutely nothing to do with your Dataone software/tool.

Had switched from Dataone after they removed unlimited usage :angry: so for now will not be able to check it out.

But nice to see your release and effort. Good luck and best wishes for ShaPlus!

yeap. but i think when people involve their religion in their business, it just goes on to show how unprofessional they can be... baniya web design. sounds serious? not to me.

And ShaPlus' suggestion... use a firewall... normally your firewalls dont block OUTGOING connections, so the software can still transmit your password to ShaPlus! LOL very smart, ShaPlus 😎

And b0bee and perumal... you should change your BSNL password ASAP... also change your passwords for other sites if you using a common password for multiple site... LOL hehe

quite true... i had hate to be part of the platform which allows people to rip of other users out of their account details. take this message as a disclaimer... from this forum.