forward port on default gateway 192.168.1.1

• Thread starter Thread starter xsqueezme
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10
  • Views Views 4,573
ISP
Airtel
Hello there, I've Nokia G-2425G-A router with Airtel Xstream
I wanted to access my FTP server (connected USB to the router) from the outside network, So I tried to open port 21 on 192.168.1.1 and it says invalid server IP address
Is there any way I can do that? Will unlocking/rooting the router help?

No, unless you have a static IP address provided from airtel all general usage port numbers like 21, 22, 23, 25, 53 80, 443, etc are and will be blocked. Also, you cannot access the USB to the router feature, from the internet.

Well, it's not blocked for me. I have been using 80, 443 and udp tunnel on 123 and 53 for fun for a while now.

I am in MH with Airtel xtreme. So far getting dynamic public ip4. My tests indicate that TCP 21 is open but 443, 23, 80 are closed. some odd ports like 91 is also open. See the screenshot. However don't know if their firewall rules varies from place to place.
7imZkrN.png

I don't know what you mean by forward port on gateway. you forward on a client connected to router. never on the router itself. On router you just need to enable service and relax firewall if applicable. Now this varies from model to model and I can't comment about ur model. Some routers do not allow certain services to be run or exposed to internet as a security measure.
There's security risk in allowing FTP to be exposed onto the internet.

No you are correct and gateway can also be called as routers, since they are technically the gate keeper between you the lan and the internet.
Some routers do not allow certain services to be run or exposed to internet as a security measure.

When you buy a third party routers and are using it as the main gateway, it does not come with such limitations.