Forum Downtime Today

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 34
  • Views Views 9,122
I read in open dns thread in the airtel section that airtel dns servers were faster than open dns so I was using airtel for its speed and open dns as backup when airtel fails but I have had lots of problems with airtel dns in the past.

thats the whole point. dns of local isps are pathetic on reliability factor alone... a few miliseconds should not matter as xp itself cache them most of the time.

QUOTE(xyx2000 @ Dec 12 2006, 11:00 PM) [snapback]70784[/snapback]
I read in open dns thread in the airtel section that airtel dns servers were faster than open dns so I was using airtel for its speed and open dns as backup when airtel fails but I have had lots of problems with airtel dns in the past.
[/b]
You did not read further, yes airtel servers are faster to *reach* but the result of the query comes *faster* from DNS on the other side of the planet...go figure.

OpenDNS should never really be needed if the ISP did the job properly in the first place.

QUOTE(Sushubh @ Dec 12 2006, 11:21 PM) [snapback]70788[/snapback]
... a few miliseconds should not matter as xp itself cache them most of the time.
[/b]
Heh yeah, if the DNS client service is running. If you dont mess with settings much, chances are it is.

Turns out from W2k onwards windows has had a caching DNS server. But its not configurable, either its on or its not. If there is a problem all u can do is flush eveything in it.