Formula-1 News and Updates

The future of F1 may be in jeapordy not only in the US but in the whole of North America. The Indy cicuit is on F1 contract till next year. If the Indy race is scrapped, I do not know how much sense would it make for the F1 teams to fly across the Atlantic, just to race in Canada and come back. Also I believe the FIA and dear Bernie and Ferrari(as always) have been acting like Pain in the..... 11 teams had agreed to make that turn slower...but these above mentioned ppl said no and hence screwed up uthe race...not that Michelin is not to blame..

Originally posted by amda@Jun 21 2005, 12:00 PM
The future of F1 may be in jeapordy not only in the US but in the whole of North America.
11 teams had agreed to make that turn slower...but these above mentioned ppl said no and hence screwed up uthe race...
not that Michelin is not to blame..
[snapback]13379[/snapback]
[/quote]

I really dont think so that the future of F1 would be in jeopardy in the American subcontinent. It would be so if there was no crowd turnout. Infact the crowd turnout was somewhere around 120000 ppl thats a heavy turnout only that the race was a dampner.

And about creating a banking chichane i believe if that was not done the teams could always race slower, What i dont understand is why couldnt the drivers race slower on that curve .I thing the focus has shifted from intelligent driving to making meaner and faster machines on ideal tracks.

Originally posted by Sushubh@Jun 22 2005, 02:03 PM
there are not even 11 teams in formula1 dude 😛
[snapback]13466[/snapback]
[/quote]

Does that really matter!! 11 teams or not it really neednt be much of a discussion.
Jordans coming up with a better refined version of their caer and they say thed be tesing it and will only know if it is better than the minardis only after they try it on the track!!! Well what a team !!! they dont really know what to expect !! and they dream of competing with Red bull and Saubers!!
You gotta be better at atleast predicting your technology if you need to stay on the grid!!

Well there is a lot of lab simulation that happens before a car is brought onto the track...However there is no way of telling as to how much better will the new car will be than the previous one...You could increase the power, reduce the drag...still it is difficult to predict the way the vehicle will behave on the tarmac ...Also it remains to be seen what all changes will the new car have... a more powerful engine...better handling...improved aerodynamics...difficult to say....

since one of my good friends picked up the topic of predicting car perfomances well here's some information that i was able to dig out to bolster my point

Because of the very need of high performance, F1 wind tunnels have, apart from the fypical extreme optimizations, special features that increase testing abilities:

Rolling road: the floor of the windtunnel testing area is made to simulate the track. The idea is to make the track move under the car at the same speed as the air flows around the car. This might seem a worthless feature, but it is in fact far from that. The fact is the simulation is now complete with rotating real tyres. Tyres rotate rapidly at 300km/h, and they are thereby generating a lot of turbulence. The airflow around the wheels is substantially different with rotating wheels compared to a measurement with static floor.
Ride height simulation: When testing a formula one car, it is fixed to stay in its position with a carbon bar fixed to the car above the air happer. In most current tunnels, these bars have hydraulic systems that allow engineers to adjust ride height with a precision of 0.01 mm, thereby also measuring the resistance provided by the suspension.
[/b]

Now reading that clearly explains that the teams are able to actually predict how the car would behave to atleast some detail. this clearly involves a good amount of expenditure.

In Jordan's case it is know that they do not have enough cash to expriment in the wind tunnels which cleary enforces their statement that they have no idea as to how the car would behave ... not surprising eh..

A1 Grand PrixThe A1 Grand Prix is a new open wheel series being formed to run in the off-season of Formula 1 making its debut on 25 September 2005.A1 is an idea promoted by the enterprising and eloquent Sheikh Maktoum Hasher Maktoum Al Maktoum, a member of the ruling family of Dubai .The races will be held in winter which is off-seaseon for F1.Whats unique about this race is that, instead of Ferrari and Renault in warlock , each country will bw pitted against each other .Imagine india competiting with Pakistan , China , Australia. Hence, Sheikh Maktoum is calling A1 Grand Prix the 'World Cup of Motorsports.All cars will have same specificationunlike the f1 cars which very in terma on hourse power . A1 car will be the second-fastest single-seater racing car after Formula One cars with speeds of up to 330km/h.All countries taking part will use identical Lola cars featuring powerful 3.4 litre V8 Zytek engines, to place more emphasis on driver ability, unlike in Formula 1.Atleast 21 teams will be competitng in the competationThe Team India franchise has been acquired by the Gupta family, who own the £100million turnover Sahara Computer Group which will be formely launched in July.Teams already there are Portugal ,Brazil , America, China, Japan, Australia , Bahrain , etcA1 Grand Prix DatesSeptember 25, Brands Hatch (GB)October 9, Eurospeedway (D)October 23, Estoril (P)November 6, Eastern Creek (AUS)November 20, Sepang (MAL)December 11, Dubai Autodrome (UAE)January 15, TBA (Indonesia/Singapore)January 29, Durban (ZA)February 12, Monterrey (MEX)February 26, San Antonio (USA)March 12, Laguna Seca (USA)March 26, Beijing Goldenport (China).The calendar is still be confirmed by the FIA.

12/03/2006 Bahrain Sakhir 19/03/2006 Malaysia Sepang 02/04/2006 Australia Melbourne 23/04/2006 San Marino Imola 07/05/2006 Europe Nurburgring 14/05/2006 Spain Barcelona 28/05/2006 Monaco Monaco 11/06/2006 Great-Britain Silverstone 25/06/2006 Canada Montréal 02/07/2006 USA Indianapolis 16/07/2006 France Magny-Cours 30/07/2006 Germany Hockenheim 06/08/2006 Hungary Hungaroring 27/08/2006 Turkey Istanbul 10/09/2006 Italy Monza 17/09/2006 Belgium Spa-Francorchamps 01/10/2006 Japan Suzuka 08/10/2006 China Shanghai 22/10/2006 Brazil Interlagos

This season was a disaster for me as far as Formula-1 was concerned. I am a Ferrari and a Michael Schumacher fan and well I was disappointed. Next season would be up from March 12 next year and I am looking forward to it. Barrichello is gone from Ferrari, which is good news, and Massa replaces him. Perhaps Ferrari is waiting for 2007 to get hold of Kimi Raikkonen.Another rumor in the market is that Ferrari would like to bring Valentino Rossi to its Formula-1 team. That would be some interesting move! If Michael retires at the end of next year, a Rossi-Raikkonen duo in the red Ferrari would make for a fantastic viewing.In other stuff, we now have Honda racing as an independent team. BMW also has decided to move away from Williams and would be fielding their own team. Jordan is gone and so is Narain Karthikeyan from what I have heard. Midland is replacing Jordan in collaboration with Toyota, which would be an interesting setup.If Toyota has a second team in the running, so is Honda along with Super Aguri F1. looks like in a couple of years, we would be having Toyota and Honda competing for the title with Ferrari and Mercedes struggling to keep pace with them as it is in the global market. No US based team in Formula-1 goes on to show how their auto industry is fairing in the international market!

how/why did they put Sakhir first? does the F1 season start at a different circuit each time?

asia has become a bigger market for f1. more crowd, better circuits, and well... in the end more returns. lack of restrictions is also a good reason. europe has implemented a anti-alcohol anti-smoking campaign which are some of the biggest sponsors for most of the teams.