• Thread starter Thread starter jishnu1980
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 11
  • Views Views 7,906

jishnu1980

Regular
ISP
bsnl
HELLO All the 4 fm stations in my area broadcasting their programs on stereo mode iam only 23 kms away (road distance )(through air it will be around 12 kms )from broadcasting tower when i tune all the 4 fm radio stations in my car audio it all shows as stereo when i tune all the four fm stations in my Sony home radio all the four fm stations shows mono mode not stereo but sound is very clear (i tuned both car audio and home radio in same place)today after a heavy rain i tuned again in my home radio and one fm radio station comes as stereo (stereo indication red light on) after some times red light off and become mono why this happened how can i receive all the 4 fm stations in stereo mode note: both car audio and home radio are sony

Hi Jishnu,Sony xplod car audios have powerful fm receivers they would pickup the weakest of signalsAre u using a quality arial in the car fully extended or r u using a fancy arial just for the looks.Even though ur car stereo shows stereo, if signal isn't powerful enough u will be hearing only in mono although sony explod shows the ST - stereo symbol the only thing u can do is park the car in a higher ground outside the porch and I suppose that is not possible. In ur home radio case when that stereo light is on u will be probably hearing the station in real stereo.A hissing sound will be heard in stereo mode in FM when the signal is not strong enough ,at the same time the station may be clear in mono mode.It is blinking because the power is fluctuating. Are U using the T shaped fm antenna provided along with the music system ,if it is not getting u the results go for an external yagi antenna designed for FM band and mount it high up since u are only 23 km away booster may not be necessary. with regards mcx

Dear Jishnu, How Thrissur FM stations perform? Which is the popular one in Thrissur?

hi smile now all the 4 alloted stations started their operations i feel all the 4 stations have poor signal strengthnow all the 4 fm stations concentrated on phone in programs i think best fm holds the number one spot because of good presenters + sreekandan nair program according to manorama newspaper survey radio mango holds the number one spot every where in keralahello maxiam using sonyexplod car audio with a quality arial fully extended recently after a heavy rain i just tuned fm in my car surprisenly all the 4 fm stereo have terrific sound good bass treble and good voice quality in my home audio iam using an electrical wire as antenna i connected one end to the terrace (outside) and other end to the arial of the radioafter a rain all the four fm stations sound are very good and only one fm station shows fm as stereo in my home audio

@jishnu, there's a guy in orkut from kochi selling a self-made antenna and booster for Rs. 1200.

@jishnu we all know the thrissur stations are the weakest among the private stations started in kerala, but I still think at 12 km straight distance from thrissur then U ought to be getting all the 4 stations in stereo througout the day and whatever the whether is.Usually even the Low Power terrestrial TV stations covers 20 km radius.My place is more than 100 km away from thrissur but i could receive best fm in stereo on almost all mornings and night , and rain is not required ! Radio mango is weaker but even with hizzing and variations still it can be picked up in stereo here and this station seems to have better audio quality than any other station. May be U are have have a huge building or a hill nearby obstructing ur receivers line of sight to the transmitter may be u need some boosting to get all 4 in stereo all the time

hello blu and mcxmay be because of near by fm stations in coimbatore,calicut and cochin (all the fm stations come under 100 km radius (air) thrissur fm stations broadcating low power signals but if thrissur fm signels covering 100 km radius (in streo) then signel is not weak (phone in programs i heard so many peoples calling from palakkad and edappal (around 25 kms again travel from my place to reach edapal around 50 kms far away from thrissur )if so some buildings or small hills in between thrissur and my place disturing the signels

@jishnu1980, last week I was around Aluva and recieved the Thrissur stations in my car audio. Though the clarity was on and off, I was getting more than one station. I didnt check whether it was stereo or mono, but had good quality sometimes (I was on the move most of the times). You should be getting the signals very clearly. Why dont you check your antenna connection once?

@jishnu thrissur stations obviously has some problems; kovai stations still farther away for me are having much better stereo reception here. for me trivandrum is 50 km more distant than thrissur but after starting of club fm and SA fm from tvm I could not ever tune to the same stations from thrissur as the tvm stations are received in descent power even if I turn my antennna towards the thrissur side.thrissur tower is small only 50 m in height while all other towers in kerala are more than 100 meter in height may be that is why it is difficult to tune to, even in adjascent placesLike u pointed out it may be done purposefully to reduce the overlap problem once ekm stations starts their transmission.Mine also is Sony xplod i dont get any tcr stations in car while at home only in the roof mounted antenna.going to thrissur on the move tcr stations appear just before muvattupuzha after perumbavoor signals become more stable.In the night stations are audible in ernakulam city but here only on top of hills in ktm dist. bye

@mcx:very true.all major FM players will be investing on Kochi FM Stations.it is for sure,that kochi towers will be more higher and powerful(most prolly will be in kakkanad).
if ever FM channels started in kotyam ,there also the Transmitter power will be limited as is for the height of the tower too!

edit😱h yes!in muvattupuzha devikulam,kochi,kovai(less distance radially to coimbatore than from thrissur to coimbatore!) are all available.yes,my car stereo picks all these!thrissur station-best fm shows sometimes.all without booster.

and yeah!did u guys ever tried FM transmitter kits? 😀
I had tried long back.these kits are available on most electronic spare shops I suppose.

One of the genius in electronics design and implementations Mr.Martin(who long back demoed sound without speakers!!!) of Medi had(have?) good circuits long back since 1991 onwards. 🙂
Medi:
index

Sound without Vibrating Object

Hi yeah kochi is a B class city for Prasar Bharati and and the only metro in kerala and probably one of the fastest growing city in south india after bangalore and hyderabad ,so much happening here hopefully for the betterment of all keralites. hopefully the new fms will cover the entire semi urban ernakulam district quite perfectly and that means neighbouring districts will be also having good reception with some tweakings.There will be severe overlap problems in areas caught equidistant between ekm and tcr transmitters, but as the ekm stations towers are going to be higher the places nearer to thrissur will have overlap problems rather than those nearer to ekm.beleive me the overlapping is worse than a weak reception. I here have so much of overlap in 93.5 94.3 91.9 98.3.... already, hope to settle the problems to some extend with the starting of ekm stations.oh forgot i h've also made one hobby fm transmitter years back while I was in XI th std that worked but had lot of humming with the power supplly i used .it was mono, running on batteries it had a range of 300 m i suppose, but it had so many loose contact and interfered with the tv terrestrial as well as cable network in my house as well as the neighbours. but it was fun