Fluctuating SNR during rain/drizzle?

pothi

@127.0.0.1
ISP
BSNL - 3G
VI - LTE
Airtel - LTE/5G
Jio - 5G
I am only aware of degraded performance of mobile internet (2g, 3g, 4g/lte) during rain. Never heard or experienced any slowdown or downtime on ADSL, VDSL or fiber.

My district is well-known for "not having" rain for most part of the year. That's why crackers and paper products are made here in this district. However, during the past 40 days or so, we see at least some drizzles every day (or every other day). While this is a good news overall, my internet has been pathetic since rain started 40 days ago.

The SNR keeps fluctuating a lot (from 24 to zero and then zero to 24 in a matter of seconds) even on a light rain / drizzle. This results in unstable connection / speed. Is this normal on ADSL?

If the water is going to any of the joints in the wire or anywhere.

Here in Delhi every thing is covered under boxes so that water can't go inside.

If water goes, disconnection happens.

This is happening due to the moisture in the Copper cables.
Though this is normal on ADSL it will test your patience,so get the drop wire checked and remove any joints in the wire.
Check the telephone for noise when SNR drops or fluctuates.
If there is noise on the phone,it's mostly a issue on the cable/wire coming to your house. If there's no noise then there is a issue on the exchange side, so ask them to check the connection on MDF or change the port on DSLAM.
It should mostly fix the problem.

@ajgamer Water may go inside the junction box that is approximately 100m from here. But, not in any other place.

@vignesh_venkatesan

Telephone noise is bit tricky to catch as I mostly stopped using it and there is a weird wiring at home. I am sure, the noise is not there for 90% of the time. But, I will check it anyway.

I am almost about to cancel this connection due to number of alternatives available at the moment. But, at RS. 299+gst per month, it is hard to get it back at this rate. If I had to get a new connection, the minimum I have to pay is 349+gst after the promotion period of 6months or 12 months. Also, when it works, it works like never before, probably due to cancelation of BB connections in the neighborhood. I am probably the only one who still stays with BSNL bb in my street.

@pothi Do you have any viable options for isp at your place other than bsnl ?
In recent times I feel that QoS of BSNL staff has improved.
Couple of days ago there was problem with DSLAM (burnt card due to lightning) in our area which affected a few customers but they promptly called us and informed.
They fixed it within the said time which is very unusual.
This same problem has happened a few years ago and they took thier sweet time to fix it.
If they expand thier ftth coverage with the same QoS i would definitely go for it.

Telephone noise is bit tricky to catch as I mostly stopped using it and there is a weird wiring at home. I am sure, the noise is not there for 90% of the time. But, I will check it anyway.

No noise during reduction in SNR.

Do you have any viable options for isp at your place other than bsnl ?

Well. Technically, I am in the middle of two exchanges and a mini exchange. So, BSNL itself is an alternative to BSNL. The staff, except the linemen, are good. I'd say better than any private company. For example, a plan change would be done before I reach home that is only a 5-mins from the exchange. BSNL is supposed to provide fiber by now. But, I am losing hopes on it, every passing week.

Apart from BSNL, Airtel provides broadband over WiFi at 2mbps speed with fup for rs1000 +GST. Then, there is an installation charges of approximately 4k. I heard that this technology doesn't get affected by rain. But, I wouldn't want to take risk with any wireless services.

Then, we have fiber from cherrinet, with very limited coverage area. Then, Jio is laying fiber and junction boxes at a brisk pace with no specific time frame of launch. Jio fiber covers limited area as well, but is expanding to more areas than what's already covered by cherrinet.

Fortunately, I have both Airtel 4g tower and Jio 4g tower with close proximity. So, that's how I am surviving at the moment.

Yeah, I totally feel your pain @pothi

Someone give this man 1Gbps Line for his patience and calmness he is showing on this forum where everyone is talking about 50Mbps 100Mbps 😛

Hats off to you.

@ajgamer Are you a God or what?!

Finally, I am getting a fiber in about 7 days. I visited my village / town after a long time (due to this ADSL SNR mess) and LCO there forgot about me asking about fiber.

I went to the exchange to file a complaint to remove any corrosion in the junction box. After making complaint, I asked about fiber that was promised last month. To my surprise, BSNL started providing fiber. So, filled the form for fiber. Paid the advance to BSNL too. Took 777 per month plan, for now. LCO guy is a known person. We used to have tea together. But, lost touch as we both became busy at their own business. SDO in BSNL called him and asked me to speak to him to clarify the address of installation. He understood who I am. I am going to kick his ass when I see him in person.

Thanks again, @ajgamer .

@ajgamer Are you a God or what?!

Finally, I am getting a fiber in about 7 days. I visited my village / town after a long time (due to this ADSL SNR mess) and LCO there forgot about me asking about fiber.

I went to the exchange to file a complaint to remove any corrosion in the junction box. After making complaint, I asked about fiber that was promised last month. To my surprise, BSNL started providing fiber. So, filled the form for fiber. Paid the advance to BSNL too. Took 777 per month plan, for now. LCO guy is a known person. We used to have tea together. But, lost touch as we both became busy at their own business. SDO in BSNL called him and asked me to speak to him to clarify the address of installation. He understood who I am. I am going to kick his ass when I see him in person.

Thanks again, @ajgamer .

Haha, I am seriously happy for you @pothi You're one example on this forum to talk with peace and patience whenever you're facing the problems and I really admire that nature of your's.

I have mentioned multiple times that where people complain about their poor internet with 50-100 Mbps. You act very peacefully with your 2 Mbps connection which might have a lot of issues.

I def. wished that you deserve a good internet connection.

I can relate with you a lot because I have spent years with the poor internet speed of Airtel in my area (which is still an issue), and then I got Excitel which I suppose whole forum knows that how badly Excitel has treated me and how bad their services are in my area.

So I know how you felt with your poor internet connection. It feels good that whatever the ISP is, if they are providing good services with good internet speed.

Jio Fiber is the first and only Fiber Connection I have. Though Jio Fiber is a lot stupid in terms of FUP, Internet Censorship, Routing, Slow Speed (unexpectedly happening with me as the customers are increasing in my area). But it has that feeling that, at-last we have Fiber. At-last there is a hope that Airtel might come someday with Fiber.

A good internet in India (even in capital city like Delhi) is nothing less than a God's Blessing.

Anyways, Welcome to the Fiber Era finally.

It might take sometime for you to actually get the stability with your Fiber Broadband I suppose since it's new in your area. But it will def. be good experience for you come out of those single speed era and enter to the double/triple digit speeds.

I'm really happy for you. And, Kudos to BSNL for actually doing whatever they can better than what Jio was suppose to do in the Fiber.

For me, keeping the quality/services apart, BSNL wins the war in Fiber Reach compared to Airtel / Jio / ACT Fiber.

BSNL has my respect.

congrats guys on getting FTTH. Will be waiting for your reviews.
@pothi You will not be disappointed with BSNL FTTH , it is actually quite good when it works. And as you mentioned LCO is your friend, any issues will be resolved quickly for you.

BSNL FTTH wins in those areas where the reach of other ISP's is not good. But it falls short in highly competitive regions because of their 100Mbps limit. But i see that they are working hard to remove the 100Mbps bottleneck. If and when that happens i might move back to BSNL FTTH but till then i have it in safe custody(₹59/mo)