Flipkart under Walmart management

• Thread starter Thread starter IBF
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 248
  • Views Views 23,113
I thought more than 50% is not allowed under FDI rules? Thats why softbank usually has 20~40% stake in all indian companies under it?

The government on Tuesday allowed 100% foreign direct investment (FDI) in online retail of goods and services under the so-called “marketplace model” through the automatic route, seeking to legitimize existing businesses of e-commerce companies operating in India.
Amazon US owns 100% of amazon india. amazon india technically runs amazon.in website which operates a online marketplace in which sellers can sell directly. Biggest seller on it is clouldtail india which is a jv between amazon and Tata

same thing with flipkart whose parent company is registered in singapore and runs indian subsidiary flipkart.in .biggest seller is WSretail which is again Jv between flipkart and some other company I forgot

I dont keep track of these developments anymore because this fucking government changes rules every full moon night

Amazon seems all cool about fk, makes sense too, few months before amazon's launch in India, FK decided become totally utter useless, even their website UI was so much better before, around 1st Gen Moto G launch, that was the golden era of FK.
Now they have just become a mobile launching platform, which is not that great for their business! They should bring back wk retia;, stock products in their own wherehouse and offer in a day delivery to most of these products, plus prices should be 10% cheaper to amaozn or same atleast !

Also their products they have made, are just re branded stuff....and that too not cheap !

Amazon is showing interest in Flipkart only because they dont want it to go in hands of Walmart. Because Walmart is the only company that can compete them.

Otherwise they could have killed Flipkart by more offers / discounts.

Breakup fee of usd 2 billion means that they are serious. They would pay 2 billion dollars to flipkart if they refuse to buy it after checking their accounts etc.

Wait. That pic you shared, didn't it mean that breakup fee means the compensation Flipkart will have to make to Walmart for wasting their time in case it decides to go with Amazon? Because from my understanding, Amazon is willing to offer an additional 2 billion for them to break their Walmart deal.

Not sure tbh. Breakup fee - Wikipedia

It's unlikely that flipkart offered usd 2 billion as breakup fee to Walmart which is what Amazon is willing to compensate. Amazon's version seems to be reverse breakup fee to show their seriousness.

It's not clear what it is from the news article.