Fivenet injecting ads into webpages

• Thread starter Thread starter cyanide
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 51
  • Views Views 15,318
I'm failing to find much about Broadmax except their website, and zilch about vvision - would you mind sharing an IP address of yours so that I can figure out who they are, what they've got & how they're connected? My understanding is that they're somewhere in Santa Cruz, or at least, some of their customers are (based on posts at Techenclave etc).

Admittedly I'm surprised you've not heard about Fivenet, but that's the way it is here. I'm not affiliated with Fivenet, but, as I'm in the midst of starting my own ISP, it looks like my marketing team have their work cut out for them in your area 🙂

Can't say I pay much attention to the broadband scene.

I think the ISP is vvision, as Broadmax is only seen as a logo on the page and vvision is referred to as the ISP. Have a tracert, maybe it'll help. My IP right now is 27.106.10.30.

indian broadband scenario is going from bad to worse.

last time i had used an free isp called "Caltiger" on Dial-up connection 10 yrs back.

can't believe in the era of high-speed BB, ISP'S are Duping customers by charging for the service and injecting ADS into it.

OMG, blast from the past! I remember using Caltiger with that stupid ad bar. We soon realized how to connect to Caltiger without using their adware - one of the reason they didn't last long 🙂

arrey we know how to block. but they aint proving us the internet for free. so why should we take the ads. i did write to fivenetwork hope thy cant atleast reply. november is the last month of the yearly plan. if thy dont remove ads i will just switch to other isp and will be removing the router from my building. will see what reply i get from fivenet

arrey we know how to block. but they aint proving us the internet for free. so why should we take the ads. i did write to fivenetwork hope thy cant atleast reply. november is the last month of the yearly plan. if thy dont remove ads i will just switch to other isp and will be removing the router from my building. will see what reply i get from fivenet
u the same guy from the hub???
its not just the ads btw. to put those ads they have to go thru our tradfic too which implies they are indirectly(or directly) snooping.

It seems that fivenet have realise there mistake and taken ads out of browser.But let me remember you ppl that it is totally illegal to put ads like this.you remember in 1990's when there was live telecast of cricket matches and all local cable operator were putting there local ads during live match and all.Govt. has strictly banned those ads and even made it totally illegal.if you complain that ur cable operator is putting ads on any channel except his pvt. channel then he can be taken to court and be penalised.Same way.If they put local ads on browser like this.We can easily take fivenet to court and stop those ppl and even penalised them for there mistake.we are paying for service and he is not doing any social service by providing internet service.it is fine that they have realise and stop it.otherwise we can make them easily stop otherway round.

yes.the way local cable operator were misusing there broadcasting right by putting there local ads and making money.Same way we can make local net provider like fivenet stop misusing there power as internet provider.by the way kickass .... yaar y hub is down.

there is a different. television companies money to get telecasting rights for video content. and they lose if the local cable operator adds his own ads to the broadcast. and there are tons of laws related to television broadcasting in india. it is very much different from internet services.

still we dont have law guarding internet user in india.but this can be easily done.someone just need to file PIL in court and law will be made.but comparison is perfect.even websites put ads on there page and make money.if this local ads are there then it even hamper there earnings. no matter to what extent but it will hamper.well this argument can go on and on.but I am very sure with my legal knowledge and know how that this can be stopped.if ur local net provider puts his local ads then it can be stopped.just some effort need to be put.

well the problem is that no big corporation is affected by this mess. they are the ones that lobby for laws. laws are not made to tackle shit like this which does not affect the influential. what needs to be done is to have TRAI pass a regulation related to this. and then they can penalize the ISP for such practices. getting a law made for something like this? not going to happen.

exactly but something needs to be done.if PIL is file then TRAI can be made part of it and can be ordered by court to make specific guideline for ISP and regulate it somewhat.but what this local isp are doing is wrong.

Oh wow, epic props for reminding me of that. I was what, 10 years old when that was around. I remember they had a pretty wicked dialer with a rotating tiger globe or something. 😀[/QUOTE]Yups. They had a 1 Inch Adbar on Topmost column of the Screen

I am pretty sure the website owners are not going to be amused, even if they don't touch the big boys like Google/Yahoo! 's websites, a lot of content driven websites would sue them for trying to profit from copyrighted content.-Tarun

Can't say I pay much attention to the broadband scene.

I think the ISP is vvision, as Broadmax is only seen as a logo on the page and vvision is referred to as the ISP. Have a tracert, maybe it'll help. My IP right now is 27.106.10.30.

You're on Sify.

It seems that fivenet have realise there mistake and taken ads out of browser.
But let me remember you ppl that it is totally illegal to put ads like this.

It's. Just. Not.

you remember in 1990's when there was live telecast of cricket matches and all local cable operator were putting there local ads during live match and all.

Govt. has strictly banned those ads and even made it totally illegal.
if you complain that ur cable operator is putting ads on any channel except his pvt. channel then he can be taken to court and be penalised.

Same way.
If they put local ads on browser like this.
We can easily take fivenet to court and stop those ppl and even penalised them for there mistake.
we are paying for service and he is not doing any social service by providing internet service.

it is fine that they have realise and stop it.
otherwise we can make them easily stop otherway round.

Browsers have unlimited real-estate space. Unlike TV, you can scroll past (or click through) ads.

still we dont have law guarding internet user in india.
but this can be easily done.
someone just need to file PIL in court and law will be made.
but comparison is perfect.
even websites put ads on there page and make money.
if this local ads are there then it even hamper there earnings. no matter to what extent but it will hamper.

well this argument can go on and on.

but I am very sure with my legal knowledge and know how that this can be stopped.
if ur local net provider puts his local ads then it can be stopped.
just some effort need to be put.

The best way to stop it, as I've mentioned earlier in the thread, is to vote with your wallet (if such a thing is at all possible).

The legal system is slow, and from the sounds of it, YANAL. Legally speaking, there is nothing stopping Fivenet from doing what they're doing. Ethically speaking, what they are doing is indeed questionable because you're paying for the service, but one SHOULD first check his contract to see if there is any blanket clause which says Fivenet etc can in fact do what they're doing. If such a clause exists, you have no recourse nor any right to complain - you either have to put up with it or switch. If there is not, then go ahead and file a suit.

exactly but something needs to be done.
if PIL is file then TRAI can be made part of it and can be ordered by court to make specific guideline for ISP and regulate it somewhat.

but what this local isp are doing is wrong.

Unethical yes, illegal no. I would hope that enough complaints would spark some kind of regulatory action because from my position it's not something I can get behind (I'd like to say worse things, but I can't).