Fivenet injecting ads into webpages

• Thread starter Thread starter cyanide
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 51
  • Views Views 15,282
Confirming that all the hijinks appears have died down today, though I did get a couple of 404s earlier this morning. No ads so far, and haven't noticed any missing cookies either.Wonder what that was all about.Edit: On checking tracert, I think somebody in the ISP chain did some rerouting. Here's fresh tracert data to google.com : 1 5 ms 1 ms 1 ms 58-231-119-111.mysipl.com [111.119.231.58] 2 6 ms 2 ms 12 ms 57-231-119-111.mysipl.com [111.119.231.57] 3 5 ms 5 ms 5 ms 133-117-138-120.mysipl.com [120.138.117.133] 4 72 ms 74 ms 72 ms 110-234-98-34.del.tulipconnect.com [110.234.98.34] 5 8 ms 5 ms 8 ms 124-247-242-181.del.tulipconnect.com [124.247.242.181] 6 18 ms 11 ms 12 ms 72.14.219.96 7 35 ms 38 ms 41 ms 209.85.241.52 8 45 ms 41 ms 35 ms 209.85.251.95 9 38 ms 31 ms 34 ms 209.85.241.33 10 31 ms 22 ms 27 ms 74.125.236.48Trace complete.Me like.

Wow, a weekend holiday and this thread has blown up.I'm happy many of you took notice too. I found it weird when my laptop started showing these ads too. At that point, I figured my router had been rooted or DD-WRT had sold out (because I recently switched from Tomato to DD-WRT). A few seconds of snooping around confirmed otherwise.Anyways, first a couple of questions/replies directed to MGCarley.I did not sign any contract. My 'cablewala' asked for a couple of passport sized photos, but I totally forgot about them and it seems he did too. So I'm not really bound to the service since they don't have any identifiable information of me. No contracts have been signed by me, so I can theoretically do nothing about the lack of ethics on their part.Secondly, thank you for setting the record straight. Does India have any concept of Net Neutrality? As in the ISPs being common carriers and not liable for the traffic that passes through them? If so, Fivenet is opening a huge can of worms by showing that they do not mind snooping into subscribers' data to make a few bucks. A smart lawyer employed by the media companies here might be able to force them to police their own pipes then.It is wonderful that you choose to connect with your current and prospective clients at a grassroots level. Do you have any plans for offering your services in Malad (W) and/or Kandivali (W)? I do not know if you are currently offering connectivity here.To everyone. Keep writing to Fivenet. I wrote a stinker to the customer service people after calling them up again and asking them to register a formal complaint and give me a complaint number. I have not received a reply yet. My options at this point are to send a registered letter to Fivenet and TRAI and make everyone aware of what is happening. I do not believe TRAI would be aware of such antics going on by a regional small-time ISP. I have paid a year's advance for my connectivity, so I do not really see what I have worth losing at this point. They've already taken my money. I will keep fighting.Thank you everyone.

Wow, a weekend holiday and this thread has blown up.

I'm happy many of you took notice too. I found it weird when my laptop started showing these ads too. At that point, I figured my router had been rooted or DD-WRT had sold out (because I recently switched from Tomato to DD-WRT). A few seconds of snooping around confirmed otherwise.

Anyways, first a couple of questions/replies directed to MGCarley.
I did not sign any contract. My 'cablewala' asked for a couple of passport sized photos, but I totally forgot about them and it seems he did too. So I'm not really bound to the service since they don't have any identifiable information of me. No contracts have been signed by me, so I can theoretically do nothing about the lack of ethics on their part.

Whoops. Hopefully the DoT doesn't ask for anything any time soon.

Secondly, thank you for setting the record straight. Does India have any concept of Net Neutrality? As in the ISPs being common carriers and not liable for the traffic that passes through them? If so, Fivenet is opening a huge can of worms by showing that they do not mind snooping into subscribers' data to make a few bucks. A smart lawyer employed by the media companies here might be able to force them to police their own pipes then.

For the most part, Net Neutrality hasn't yet really arrived in India. As for the "snooping", it's not really snooping, IMO. It's completely automated and worst comes to worst, wouldn't give any more information about the customers surfing habits that a little DNS cache checking wouldn't tell them. Besides, ISPs are REQUIRED to log everything, and the gov't is REQUIRED to have full access to all information about customers, the network, and activity therein.

It is wonderful that you choose to connect with your current and prospective clients at a grassroots level. Do you have any plans for offering your services in Malad (W) and/or Kandivali (W)? I do not know if you are currently offering connectivity here.

Malad yes, Kandivali is iffy at the moment.

I used to see such ads 460x60 floating on screen..First, I thought whether I have some adware present in my system.. Went through all the process running and i found nothing..I did not go on searching from where the ads were coming, just because my exams were going on..But, since yesterday all the floating ads have been stopped!!

Yes, I can confirm that the ads have currently been stopped.Let's see what they plan to do next.

Apologies for persisting on this thread even though I don't have FiveNet, but the ads reappeared for me yesterday. They have a 'Close' link on them now and seem to come up less often, and on fewer sites. But they're still floating javascripts, and I can't see them on the page source, but I managed to block them with AdBlock's element hider.

The thing is, I keep getting 404 errors on various websites and that's what's bothering me the most. Apparently whenever these 404s come up, I see that "http://*.com/.mytest" was requested (hence the 404s). This gets resolved on a single refresh. I tried switching DNS servers and flushing the cache, no effect. I'd be glad if anyone can me tell me what's going on.

Tracert shows that my ISP is Syscon Infoway and I'm being routed through Tulip Connect.

CMIIW , but deep packet inspection is just a scanning method for shaping traffic , how does that inject scripts into webpages .. I am just curious ,thats all.

It is called Web Page Interception , Content Analysis & Content Injection using ICAP Server.