Finding the right password?!

• Thread starter Thread starter geeree
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10
  • Views Views 2,458

geeree

ISP
BSNL
Hello,I am having an embarrassing problem with my BSNL broadband connection, which I use with a computer running Windows 7. The broadband connection works fine, but I do not know its password! I have two passwords written up somewhere and I want to know which one of them is the right one. The broadband connection works well right now because I stored a password in the Windows network settings two years ago and that has been working fine all along. But now I want to set up the connection anew (with wireless this time) and I need to know the password for that. Is there a way for me to check which one of the two passwords I have is the right one?Thanks!Girish.

1.Mention modem/model/make/number in use.Proposed wifi router details.2Type 192.168.1.1userid admin PW adminAssuming you are in PPPoE mode Open the WAN page containing your USERID and PWClick context menu . Select Page source.scroll down the page to see your userid and PW in plain language.Feedback. It is assumed that you don't remember both the pW to access Internet.or Call BSNL CC and explain the problem. they may give the PW .

Thanks for your reply, essbebe. I am using a UT Starcom modem (model number UT300R2U). I haven't decided on the WiFi router details yet. (My plan was to understand the current configuration and then see how the WiFi would fit in.) Regarding my password problem: I tried to connect to 192.168.1.1 using my web browser (tried Chrome and Firefox) but failed. Any tips there? Windows tells me that the device type is PPPoE.Thanks,Girish.

Best option!!
Contact CC of your Exchange to know USER PW !!!!

In computer:
START Run type cmd
OK
New window
type
ipconfig /all
find the default gateway of modem.
OR
Option 2:
When connected to Internet
What Is My IP Address? Lookup IP, Hide IP, Change IP, Trace IP and more...
say 117.xx.x.xx
Retype in address bar.
A window may open for modem access.

Option 3:
( Advanced users🙂
RESET the modem with poweron for about 10 to 20 seconds.
All settings to factory default.
Retry 192.168.1.1
for two models UT300R2U PPPoE
The little I know about Dataone Broadband Services offered by BSNL
The little I know about Dataone Broadband Services offered by BSNL
utstar300r2unew.html

Feedback.

Thanks for the reply again, essbebe. Luckily, I did not have to work through all those steps to recover the right password. Just configured the connection separately on my Mac and played with all my passwords until I found the right one! (Should have thought of this before.)I now plan to set up a WiFi router for wireless Internet access throughout the house. Any suggestions?Thanks,Girish.

Congrats.
Just configured the connection separately on my Mac and played with all my passwords until
I found the right one! (Should have thought of this before).
Not convinced. If modem was connected to MAC OS computer also it will not need any external input
to connect to Internet ( Your userID/with correct password stored in the modem itself )
Regarding my password problem: I tried to connect to 192.168.1.1
using my web browser (tried Chrome and Firefox) but failed. Any tips there?

And again if Modem access ID/PW not known cannot access 192.168.1.1
( assuming default admin PW admin did not work/ were changed by you ),
confirm how you can access modem settings now. Was this also available
in MAC OS file ?
After retrieving USERID and PW, RESET the modem to factory defaults.
possible. Then access 192.168.1.1 admin admin
and make settings and connect to Internet.

I now plan to set up a WiFi router for wireless Internet access throughout the house.
Any suggestions?

Present ADSL modem Ut300r2U to be used in PPPoE (""always On") mode
(a)

Get a wifi router with wdm/wds mode .
Two wifi routers of same make ( preferred) will connect
in wireless mode without any cable.
(b)

Get a wifi router with detachable antenna/or multiple antennae.
(c)

Use a 4 dBi antenna if range is not possible with single wifi router.

feedback.

Thanks, essbebe!

Not convinced. If modem was connected to MAC OS computer also it will not need any external input to connect to Internet (Your userID/with correct password stored in the modem itself)

The modem is connected to a single computer at a time. Previously, it was connected to the Windows 7 computer alone. I then disconnected the ethernet chord and connected it to the computer running Mac OS X. On the Mac, I set up a new PPPoE connection in which I entered the BSNL broadband username and password. This worked. I did not need anything else.

And again if Modem access ID/PW not known cannot access 192.168.1.1 (assuming default admin PW admin did not work/were changed by you), confirm how you can access modem settings now. Was this also available in MAC OS file? After retrieving USERID and PW, RESET the modem to factory defaults. possible. Then access 192.168.1.1 admin admin and make settings and connect to Internet.

I am not accessing any modem settings right now. In fact, I think there is something wrong in my LAN set-up. My computer does not get a local IP address from the modem. It chooses a self-assigned IP address (169.254.109.200). This is why I cannot access 192.168.1.1. Luckily, this does not affect my Internet access. Do you have a comment on this?

Present ADSL modem Ut300r2U to be used in PPPoE (""always On") mode. (a) Get a wifi router with wdm/wds mode. Two wifi routers of same make ( preferred) will connect in wireless mode without any cable. (b) Get a wifi router with detachable antenna/or multiple antennae. (c) Use a 4 dBi antenna if range is not possible with single wifi router. feedback.

Very helpful. Thanks for this. I am thinking of buying a D-Link Wireless N300 router (model DIR-615). (I think that simply connecting the wireless router to my UT300R2U modem via ethernet should work.) It has two 2 dBi antennae, which should be sufficient for me in my house. Also, since I need only one wireless router, I won't need the wdm/wds mode, right?

Girish.

1.You know, your userid/PW and connect to Internet with SystemIP MS default.(169.254.109.200Means you are using Dialer Mode to connect.Entering ID/PW in a window of your system.2. IF so, when you want to use WIFI router, you need to access modem settings to change it to PPPoE mode:Enter/store ID/PW in wan page of modem.Also enable DHCP. 3.In computerSTART NETWORK LANPropertiesNew Window opensNetwork settings.Highlight tcp/ip IPV4propertiesInstead of Obtain IP address automaticallytype 192.168.1.10255.255.255.0192.168.1.1dnsexisitng or 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4ApplY saveNow try to access modem with 192.168.1.1 admin adminif not possiblesee post no 4. and try again.OR RESET ( with power on UT300R2U for about 30 seconds forfactory defaults.) and access ModemsIP address as 192.168.1.1

Thanks for your reply! After a long long time, I resolved the problem with my LAN and understood the difference between the "Manual" and "Always On" modes of the ADSL modem! In the event, I set up wireless using an Apple Airport Extreme router. I also managed to secure the network. Thanks again!Girish.

Congratulations:
I set up wireless using an Apple Airport Extreme router.
Can you post details of how to access this router and the connection status page ?
Any model number ?.
Thanks.

Can you post details of how to access this router and the connection status page? Any model number?

Sure. The wireless router I am using is an Airport Extreme 802.11n (4th Generation; model number A1354). Technical specifications are available on the Web. (Apple - AirPort Extreme - Technical Specs). As mentioned before, I am using a UT Starcom ADSL modem (model number UT300R2U) with a BSNL broadband connection.

Here is how one can set up the router. The best resource for help is the Airport Extreme user's manual. —

1. Connect the WAN port of the wireless router to the ADSL modem using an ethernet chord. If you have any computers that do not have a wireless Wi-Fi Certified 802.11a/b/g/n card, connect them to the wireless router's ethernet ports using ethernet chords. For example, I connected my Windows 7 desktop in this way. Connect the Airport Extreme power chord. (There is no power switch on the wireless router.) Turn the power supply on. The wireless router's status light will light up. Green means OK, amber means setting up, and blinking amber means a problem. See manual for more.

2. Configure the wireless router. For this, you need a piece of software called Airport Utility from Apple (Apple - AirPort Extreme - Features - AirPort Utility). Airport Utility installs on Windows as well as Mac OS X. If it is not already installed on your computer, you can use the DVD that comes in the router's box. Once the utility is installed on a computer connected to the router (either via an ethernet chord, or wirelessly), run it to configure the router. I ran the utility on a MacBook Pro laptop that runs Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8.

3. Just follow the instructions in the utility to (1) password-protect your routers setting, (2) set up and password-protect your wireless "home" network, and optionally (3) set up and password-protect your "guest" network. (Home network users have some privileges that guest network users don't have, like USB hard disks attached to the router. I did not set up the guest network.) If you have set the ADSL modem to work in the "Always On" mode (also known as the "PPPoE" mode, as against the "Bridge," or "manual," mode), your Internet connection should now be ready.

4. The only possible problem that can occur is that the ADSL modem needs addresses of the form 192.168.1.*, whereas Airport Extreme gives address like 10.0.1.*. To solve this, just run the Airport Extreme in the "Bridge" mode. (This has nothing to do with the ADSL modems Bridge mode!) Confirm that computers on your network now have address of the form 192.168.1.*.

Hope this helps!

Girish.