Finally we can expect some IPv6 goodness coming along our way !

• Thread starter Thread starter drtech
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 16
  • Views Views 3,343
  • Tags Tags
    ipv6
Just hoping ISPs start supporting atleast /56 PD, else IPv6 no more useful than a single public IPv4 for me

Chargeable is fine. The option must exist from ISP’s side. Most customers dont need internal subnetting. The ones that do should be allowed to request for a /56 at a very reasonable rate.

/56 should be free. Anything larger should be chargeable.

You need a business connection for anything above a /64 and that will be chargeable.
That is fine as long as rates aren't exorbitant.
Something along the lines of what Airtel charges (Rs. 99 per month for 1 static IPv4 + /56 IPv6) is fine by me.

My local ISP charges 2100 for a static IPv4 and has hinted that the same charge will include atleast a /56 and in the best case a /48 once IPv6 roll out starts.

I am already paying for a v4 static IP from Airtel (charges by ISPs are supposed to act as a discouragement as v4 IPs are scarce). With home internet connections (not sure about their biz plans) they are rolling out v6 but only in certain areas of certain cities. Given their opaqueness in these matters we the customers would never really know about their plans to deploy v6 throughout their network. I have not been able to get an answer from them either via email or Twitter. The local tech/engineer doesn't know either.

And I got a IPv6 static IP /64 from TS for free. I wish the PD was a /56 or a /48. I mean there's really no need for these ISPs to be so restrictive and stingy with v6 addresses

At risk of disagreeing, I don't think it's greed that's making ISPs to prefer CG NAT and tricks like a single /64 for v6.

Home internet connections in India are insanely under priced wrt GDP per capita. Given our economic disparity, the ones who can afford and do subscribe to fixed broadband access constitute a miniscule percentage of the country's population. The only advantage that India offers to ISPs is cheaper labour for both rolling out the networks, as well as the tech talent needed to keep it running. But ISPs have a lot of hoops to jump through; bureaucratic red tapes and commissions/bribes - so much so that none of the gains realised from cheap labour matters anymore.

So when the equipment costs the same as any other country, transit rates are higher than most other countries (thanks to geography), and prices drastically under priced, the only way forward is to raise revenue through economies of scale - getting more people to adopt fixed broadband, while simultaneously cutting corners at every possible place. So we have CG NAT and tricks like single /64 v6 for customers, and an order or two higher contention rations than other developed countries. And if anyone wants more, they have to pay.