Finally, TriB NU Solution

• Thread starter Thread starter nocaps
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 85
  • Views Views 35,216
Originally posted by cyberwiz@Aug 5 2005, 12:43 AM
osinghrathore, pls check if u have disabled DHCP or not...i dont think u read the complete thread..i posted an update on the 2nd page..

and adwait..bridged mode has got nothing to do with slow speeds or disconnections..that's MTNL prob..i was also facing slow speeds..yesterday.

Anyway if u still suspect its bridged mode then u can immediately shift to the old pppoe/pppoa login method to find out if MTNL is indeed at fault
[snapback]19990[/snapback]
[/quote]

But I was not able to even dial the PPPOE connection it always failed showed (error 659)

Originally posted by cyberwiz@Aug 5 2005, 12:43 AM
osinghrathore, pls check if u have disabled DHCP or not...i dont think u read the complete thread..i posted an update on the 2nd page..

and adwait..bridged mode has got nothing to do with slow speeds or disconnections..that's MTNL prob..i was also facing slow speeds..yesterday.

Anyway if u still suspect its bridged mode then u can immediately shift to the old pppoe/pppoa login method to find out if MTNL is indeed at fault
[snapback]19990[/snapback]
[/quote]

Sry pal for the last post, I was missing some steps ( actually was too eager to set up things 😛 )
Hola! Its working, and by far I m sure this is the best solution for MTNL NU problems.
HATS OFF to CYBERWIZ!

Originally posted by osinghrathore@Aug 5 2005, 12:09 AM
Hey Adwait how did you do that, I also swithced pvc0 to bridged mode, then created broadband connection on XP, but never worked for me at last I just switched back to pppOE mode.
Can you post the steps you followed.
[snapback]19988[/snapback]
[/quote]
Sorry dude..........I am using Linux.

Originally posted by osinghrathore@Aug 5 2005, 02:37 AM
Hola! Its working, and by far I m sure this is the best solution for MTNL NU problems.
HATS OFF to CYBERWIZ!
[snapback]20004[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thank You 🙂

Originally posted by cyberwiz@Aug 5 2005, 04:07 PM
Thank You  🙂
[snapback]20056[/snapback]
[/quote]

One more thing, After switching to bridged mode I can't believe it , today once I got a speed of 64.5 KBPS that too continuous for 2-3 minutes even though the maximum speed allowed for me is 32 KBPS ( i.e. 256 Kbps).
I m wondering how did that happened.

well thats not due to the briged mode..must have been a slip up at MTNL..

that happens quite a no. of times for me...but usually on the upload side... 😉

G8 post Cyberwiz keep it up. Incidentally I'm stuck at setting up a Lan. Got dsl 502t. cat5 straight thru and cross over cables, D-Link minihub n splitter. Each PC has 2 nics in it (one removable one inbuilt) What I want is that my PC closest 2 the hub should b able 2 b switched off n the other PC should STILL access the Net. Please help n thx. Both the AMD Pcs are using Winxp pro sp2.

Originally posted by nocaps@Aug 1 2005, 07:10 PM

Scheduling:
For scheduling the reboot, download TST10 from winsite.com downloads. It is a tiny freeware Telnet utility with support for scripting. Extract the utility to a folder on your hard drive. e.g. C:\TST. In this folder, create a new text file. This is the file in which we will write the script for TST10, so name it anything you like e.g. reboot.txt. Edit this file in notepad and type the following. Remember to type the quotes as well and do not type the top and bottom lines, which I've added here only for clarity.
Start of script(don't type this line)----------------

192.168.1.1 23
WAIT \"login\"
SEND \"login_id\m\" (enter your login ID here)
WAIT \"Password\"
SEND \"login_pass\m\"  (enter your password here)
WAIT \"#\"
SEND \"reboot\m\"
WAIT \"#\"

End of Script (don't type this line)-------------
192.168.1.1 is the address you use to access the router configuration. 23 is the port to which telnet connects. Replace \"login_id\" and \"login_pass\" with the login and password respectively, that you use to access the router configuration page from a browser. Remember, keep the \m after the id and pass.

Now simply create a scheduled task using the inbuilt Windows task scheduler.

Important: Create a task to run tst10.exe with the command line parameter /r:reboot.txt.

Important: Remember to set your firewall to always allow TST10.exe to connect to 192.168.1.1 otherwise it won't be able to work.

Voila 🙂
Also, some of these steps may need you to login as administrator. Try it a few times to make sure it works.
[snapback]19450[/snapback]
[/quote]

has anyone actually tried this method yet ??? If yes then i wonder why din they face this problem gauravmohan and i are facing.
By using schedule tasks we can make the script "tst10.exe" as windows program but how can we make it run as an argument in "cmd.exe" using schedule tasks ?????
Originally posted by nocaps@Aug 1 2005, 07:10 PM
Important: Create a task to run tst10.exe with the command line parameter /r:reboot.txt.

AND Nocaps yaar, "reboot.txt" can be passed as a command line parameter to tst10.exe only if we are working in cmd.exe . So plz temme how can one make this happen using schedule task ????

has anyone actually tried this method yet ???[/b]
Yes, I've tried this method, and used it succesfully for a couple of months.

AND Nocaps yaar, \"reboot.txt\" can be passed as a command line parameter to tst10.exe only if we are working in cmd.exe . So plz temme how can one make this happen using schedule task ????[/b]
Since they say a picture is worth a thousand words, here is an example of what your scheduled task should look like :

http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/2076/routerreboot0op.png

Some points to note:

1) You pass the parameter (i.e. /r:reboot.txt) directly after the path to tst10.exe in the Run box..
2) There is no space between /r: and reboot.txt, in the parameter.
3) The path in the Start in: box is the folder where the file reboot.txt is located. In this example, reboot.txt is in the folder C:\TST10.
4) Make sure you enter your Windows login password by clicking on the Set password... button, otherwise the schedule task won't run.

Try this, and let me know if you still have problems. It HAS to work if done properly, no two ways about it 🙂

However, I don't use this method anymore, because of the following disadvantages, as compared to the Bridged mode :

1) This method requires a hard router reboot. In layman's terms, this means that you will see the green lights on your router turn off, and then light up again after some time, once the router is done rebooting. Connecting and disconnecting in bridged mode does not need a hard reboot. Who knows, this may even prolong the life of your router in the long run 🙂

2) When the above script runs, you will be disconnected from the net, but will be connected right away automatically once the router finishes rebooting. There is no way to tell the router to just "stop" but don't reconnect again, using this script. With bridged mode, I can stop and start my connection independently whenever I want.

3) With the default PPPoE mode, you are always connected to the internet, as long as your router is turned on. In bridged mode, I can disconnect, even though my router is still on, and reconnect again whenever I want.

4) Overall, the bridged method is a much cleaner, faster (no waiting for router to reboot etc.), and elegant solution.

I would highly recommend that everyone using MTNL Triband switch to bridged mode, since there are so many advantages. See this post for details on how to switch to bridged mode, and how to automate the process of disconnecting at 12 AM and 8 AM.

Good to see people recommending bridged mode.Mario, Your 2nd and 3rd third points are exactly what i stated in response to some people asking as to why Bridge mode was better than default PPPoE/PPPoA ..two like minded people it seemsAnother big advantage of Bridge mode is that U dont need port forwarding for any application. Forwarding ports is always a hassle (atleast for me). Plus PPPoE/PPoA uses NAT which does affect some protocols like SIP ( Session Initiated Prot.) which are not NAT friendly.PPPoA/PPPoE does have an advantage though, that is when u need to connect more than one computer to same router. It can be done thru bridge mode too but PPPoA/PPPoA is simpler to use in such cases

cyberwiz, yes I missed out that bridged mode does not need ports to be forwarded. Thanks for pointing that out. That's yet another good reason to switch to bridged.

thanks a lot mario 🙂 , actually now i can see why it din works for me. It was bcoz i was passing "/r:reboot.txt" as "d:\tst10.exe /r:reboot.txt" and not outside the quotes as u've shown in the pic.U have so strongly recommended the use of bridged mode, but wot i want to ask is whether its safe ??? Coz cyberwiz said somewhere in his post that there r chance of my router going kaboom!! 😀 if instructions are not followed properly or the firmware being old etc. Waise i don't care much bout my router coz it belongs to mtnl, but still i don't want to get into the hassles of changing my router.