• Thread starter Thread starter f3rmion
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 101
  • Views Views 19,188
ISP
Reliance JIO
lu4hdxuz3op31.png

r8ydncmx2op31.png

After watching a video on Linus Tech Tips. I've set up Pi-hole and a DoH proxy using Cloudflared, the only issue I faced was that there was no pre-compiled binary available for aarch64, other than that things are pretty good. The setup is being run on a NanoPi Neo 2 connected to my router via ethernet and is being powered by my router's USB port.

Just installed it on my home server, really love not seeing ads anywhere

@f3rmion you use KiTTY instead of PuTTY? any idea why KiTTY was forked from PuTTY?

been using it for years and very greatful that pihole exists ,also thanks to linus (@JB700 )tons of ppl know about it now lol

Last edited:
Just installed it on my home server, really love not seeing ads anywhere

How this setup finds out the ads from the network and what if they mistakenly block something?

How can you whitelist some website?

it keeps a known list of ad serving domains thst update daily and you can customize these lists in the admin page ...when ever a device on your network wants to contact an ad serving domain it asks your dns server for the ip and depending on your settings pihole sends the response as 0.0.0.0 which is a null ip (RFC compliant) or sends a blank (pihole blocked )webpage

also you can add regex based filters which can block add domains or malware domains with simple keywords .....its very robust and feature rich tool ....it also supports dnscrypt and unbound

Last edited:
Okay. One thing more, can it work on the basis of device as well?

Like I want to use it for X device but not for Y device.

yeah if the number of devices you want to use it on is greater than the no of devices you don't want to use it on then input the dns as primary dns server in your router and put any other public dns on the wifi settings of the devices you don't want it on or visa versa .....its good for speeding up dns query response time on your network as it caches the most used 10000 dns queries so it does not need to wait 70/80 ms for a public dns to respond to a given query , it can instantly give you the ip

Last edited:
To expand on this I setup my own local recursive DNS Server:

Its pretty good to not have to rely on CloudFlare or Google for DNS and directly get it using root hints. Uncached records are slower than CF or Google (because they themselves cache a ton of DNS records themselves).

To expand on this I setup my own local recursive DNS Server:

Its pretty good to not have to rely on CloudFlare or Google for DNS and directly get it using root hints. Uncached records are slower than CF or Google (because they themselves cache a ton of DNS records themselves).
unbound only works properly if your isp is not hijacking all dns query on thier network sadly my isp does this so ppl like me can only run unbound in relay mode

Depends upon the way you want your pihole device to connect to the network. If you are looking for a wireless solution, you should purchase a raspberry pi zero w from robokits India. If you are looking for Ethernet connectivity, you can purchase something like the nano pi. 512 megabytes of RAM is more than enough for such headless use cases.

You are likely to find more uses of the device so get the one you are comfortable paying for! I currently have a pi2. Would love to get pi4 with 4gb ram.