Finally set-up Pi-hole on my network

• Thread starter Thread starter f3rmion
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 101
  • Views Views 19,166
@lucifer no I’m not using it with jiofiber and even if I use jio fiber I’m not going to change the ont’s dns cause I have separate dual router D-Link and I’m using that as main router and hathway is connects to its wan. So irrespective of Isp I use the poa will always be dlink. And FYI I have also installed Plex media server and it direct plays all 4K flawlessly. But issue is the temp hits 70 when direct stream from Plex. Rest of the time It’s only in mid 40s.

Last edited:
Something interesting to fire tv stick owners. It seems Amazon is adding an extra dns server.

rfPNrJx.webp

A screenshot of Netflix app on my fire tv stick. 👆

1. First two DNS are from my router DHCP.

2. My Ont has a different (opendns server ip.

3. Netflix app on my TV has only two entries.

4. The only place Google DNS is mentioned in my network is the checkbox on the pihole. 😅

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you can forward all other DNS to pihole on your router with firewall rules .

I have been trying out AgGuard Home on my home server for past week and its better than Pi-Hole in some ways (such as Encrypted DNS support without stubby and imo a better UI) . Still free and open source just like pihole

Does the encrypted DNS work without extra setup? I need a hassle free thing..

Ive changed pi-hole DNS to it now. Ping is substantially higher than google for me here in Kerala( about 30 vs some 200). So long as nothing like Netflix streaming etc slows down, I dont see any harm in any extra layer of functionality provided by Adguard.

DNSSEC is supported by Adguard. Which is great!

I think you can forward all other DNS to pihole on your router with firewall rules .

@JB700 / all, I'm bit of a noob regarding how to configure firewall rules. This is an emulator link for the router showing those options - Archer C6 Emulator . Is virtual servers the correct option?

Also, my network is ONT -> router R1 -> pihole, access point R2, devices etc. Router R1 sets DHCP. So should two rules be set? Like rule 1 - Disable all TCP and UDP traffic on port 53. And rule 2 - Allow tcp and udp traffic on port 53 for ip address of RPI pihole only?

Last edited:
Not sure how you'll do it on TP-Link as it doesn't have dstnat rules. On my microtik I have dst port 53 forwarded to my pihole server.

I don't think it's possible to do so on tp link without destination port forwarding support.