Fibre Premium Speed Issue - Getting only 40 to 80 Mbps instead of 200 Mbps - Any solution would be helpful.

ISP
BSNL FTTH
Hello everyone, I am from Salem, Tamilnadu. I have been using BSNL FTTH for nearly about year now. Recently I have switched my plan from "BSNL 799 Super Star" to "Fibre Premium / Speed Upto 200Mbps till 3300GB". Ever after I switched the plan I am seeing my speed is lowered and not up to what I have expected. I only get 40 to 80 Mbps(With my earlier plan I used to get more than 90 Mbps most of the time). Now most of the time I get only very low speed below 40 Mbps. I have informed about this to LCO and they suggested to update the firmware of the PON modem. Thus, I have done that as well but that did not help. I Have asked them to check the receiving power(Rx) and they said with this 24.90 db I am getting is good enough for 200 Mbps bandwidth.

Though the speed is less than 80 Mbps most of the time when I put the ONT on bridge mode and use my Tenda router I constantly getting 95 Mbps.(Not sure the ONT is having any issue)

Issue need to be addressed .
1. How to improve the speed, What could be causing the speed issue, Could that be the Rx power or something else?
2. Now When I attempt to downgrade my plan from Fibre Premium to any available plan below that, this option is not available to me. Is that any other solution to this? ( I am trying to down grade the plan from (BSNL CUSTOMER CARE)

Below are the information on the modem.

Source

Last edited:
Is the ONT 5Ghz supported? I looked up on google and it looks like a 2.4Ghz ONT.

Is the ONT 5Ghz supported? I looked up on google and it looks like a 2.4Ghz ONT.
Thank you @Smallship for the reply. Yes, you are correct the ONT supports only 2.5 Ghz.
Do you think that could be the cause of speed issue?.
One thing I observed regarding the ONT is when I put the ONT on bridge mode and use my Tenda router I constantly getting 95 Mbps.(Not sure the ONT is having any issue)
Though I get 95 Mbps with my tenda router on Bridge mode my plan is for 200 Mbps. still getting only 45% of the desired speed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you checking the 5Ghz bands in the Tenda router?
Hello I have checked directly connecting to the ONT via LAN1 and still the same speed I get 90 to 100 Mbps. However, when I connect to LAN2 I am started getting 200 Mbps. Looks like @ka2107 is right about the LAN port limitation where the electro line port 1 has 100 Mbps max and pot 2 has 1000 Mbps max.

Thank you @Smallship for helping me out.

Looks like you are connected to the 100 Mbps "Fast Ethernet" port in the ONT rather than the 1000 Mbps "Gigabit Ethernet" port. In my ONT "Netlink HG323RGW", Port 1 is 100 Mbps "Fast Ethernet", and Port 2 is 1000 Mbps "Gigabit Ethernet".
@ka2107 thank you buddy. After I switched using from LAN port 1 to 2 the internet speed has increased to 200 Mbps. You really add value to the forum. Thank you @Aashish.007 @ka2107 once again for help me out.

If your modem is 2.4Ghz,you will never attain wifi link speed upto 200Mbps.
Only on GE port of your ONU you can get 200Mpbs but your laptop must have Gigabit network interface card(use good ethernet cable cat6).
Now for 2.4Ghz modem on WiFi keep band under WLAN settings at 40Mhz ,you will get bit relief

If your modem is 2.4Ghz,you will never attain wifi link speed upto 200Mbps.
Only on GE port of your ONU you can get 200Mpbs but your laptop must have Gigabit network interface card(use good ethernet cable cat6).
Thank you @Zubair Iqbal .
You are correct. With my ONT/ONU I have I'm not getting more than 95 Mbps.
However, I put my ONT ONU on bridge mode and used my existing router to attain the high speed(More than 100Mbps) on WiFi.
Though in my secondary router only on 5Ghz frequency I'm getting higher speed.
On 2.5 GHz I only get less than 100Mbps.
I'm fine with this as long as I get enough speed I do not mind which frequency what I'm using.